Side Drop Divider Filter

Gobble

Hi

Has anyone every tried using a side drop filter as a divider in a tank??

Please see image and share any opinions you may have as to if it will / wont / may work

Centre Drop

Looking forward to your feedback
Thanks

Yeah the idea is to have 1 x lift tube come out each side

I figure water level on each side would be an indication of flow rate and adjustments could be made to balance it out

It would work, but I can see some issues.

The gap between the glass would need to be exactly the same, even a millimetre different between the two glass pieces will make a huge difference in water flow. If the narrower side blocked with waste there is a chance the system could pump extra water from the free flowing side. The same could happen if the air flows weren't matched as each uplift can draw water from either side of the tank.

Tanks won't overflow as long as the glass divider isn't as high as the sides of the tank.

Maintence could avoid this from happening.

Hi gobble,

I have built a few of this style of side drop and they do work well.

They aren't restricted in any way and both work as efficiently as each other.

Cheers,

Steve.

Western Sydney aquariums

I was concerned like Josh if the water flow wasn't matched. The water from a single side drop will only be flowing out and through the filter at the same rate as the water flowing back in from the return. There is the potential for the intake from one side to be taking water from the other side in the case of a blockage or decrease in flow through the filter material on one side. You need to take this into account.

Hi Ged,

You only use a common chamber that both side drops feed of, so in saying that the water will slow equally on both sides if your filter wool/ media become choked up with waiste. The only way that one will slow up more than the other is if the outlet pipe become clogged which won't happen.

Cheers,

Steve.

Western Sydney aquariums

Waiste does get stuck between the 2 pieces of glass and can build up, it takes a little time though. Every month or so I give them a bit of a clean using pipe cleaners or anything thin enough just to free up any gunk.

Archived