Bought a 215l AR980 off ebay - New to cichlids

cpfc

I have bought a 215 l Aquaone ar980 off ebay and set it up. It has the overhead filter (1000l per hour) and an aqua one cf500. I bought new tubes as there was a bit of algae and set it all up and running. The AR980 powerhead vibrates and falls off the lid so I am thinking of an EHeim compact 1000 instead but not sure of its compatiblity with the lid. The impeller looks OK but am loathe to pay for an impeller when a new unit may give me a longer life for less. There are 2x 300w heaters in there. 1 New one came with the tank.

I have a bag of Bunnings sydney sand which I am planning on using as substrate. I have some 40mm PVC tubing which I am planning to use as caves and rock supports. I am looking for a good rock source, preferably granite or something dark.

The reason I am looking to go for cichlids is their behaviour, territory guarding and the amazing colour. I am just utterly confused by compatiblity. I read of some people having their plecos getting munched by cichlids yet plenty on here have Bristlnoses.

Any advice for a cichlid newbie would be great. I want to get this tank right and am willing to take the time to do so. I have experience of a tropical freshwater tank with tetras.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome cpfc :raisehand:

I suggest you give a general location in your profile

to assist with any suggestions

With some basic experience in tropical fish it should be

a reasonably painless progression

Wash the sand well for best water clarity

what are the water parameters you have for your area

I guess you know the basics of culturing filter bacteria before

adding the fish, so while you wait you need to review what species

takes your interest and then make a list

From there it's only a matter of seeing what's compatible in water

parameters and adjusting the water or list :thumb

do your homework and let us know what takes your eye

Chris

Hi,

There are alot of very good looking cichlids to choose. If it were me i would choose Tanganyikan cichlids.(lik i ave :B )

Theres Malawians too. if your looking for a natural looking tank go for tangs. they seem to go about there business. malwaians, are more at the front of the glass, like as if they want to get out of the tank (cant think of the word lol :B ) malawians seem to have more vibrant colour but not as much personality. tangs seem t have more personality but they still hve alot of colour. you just have to choose the right ones. Admittedly, i dont know as much about malawi cichlids as i do about tanganyikan. malawi and tang cichlids are all african cichlids (as u probably know)

There are shelldwellers like: Lamprologus Occelatus and L. Meleagris. they look pretty nice. (my opionion)

Then theres the rock dwellers (neolamprologus and julidochromis) like N. leleupi and J. regani, transcriptus, ornatus and N. cylindricus, these are all good looking fish. (My opinion) the fish listed above and below are tanganyikans.

and the open water ones like cyprochromis. Leptosoma are my favourite out of the cyp bunch. these have dark blue that fades into purple that goes to yellow for the tail. the colours on the cyps arnt very vibrant and are kinda dull but it is still colour. these are good fish to fill the upper space of tank.

you could go for central americans. these seem to be more heavily built than africans and larger but alot of colour. then there is the south americn dwarfes which are small and colourful but need soft acidic water. (with most americans) and again i dont know much about south or central americans, just suggesting.

There are a HEAP others that i dont know about and the list goes on and on of good looking cichlids

Better leave some space for another post and stop rabbling on! remember these are my opinions and what u like, u like ok? look up some of these fish on google. see what u come up with.

Sorry bout the long post, and dont no about the filter sorry.

Cooder

I am in Hornsby.

Tap water parameters seem to vary but pH is 7.6 and carbonate hardness is very low so I guess we have a high total hardness. Right now tap water has 0.25 nitrites and the tank has 0!. With that and the right buffers anything is possible with good monitoring and no panicking.

I am intrigued by the jostling for territory by the African cichlids. I liked the Blue Rams behaviour in the store which sparked my interest. Electric Yellows seem like an easy starter but I am open minded and willing to wait for the right fish. Main thing atm is to get some good rocks. Anyone know a good cheap source?

The next parts is ensuring I get the right fish for the size of tank. I am thinking Mbunas as the electric yellows are them. Keeping to Malawi would be nice but not essential. I like the Zebras. The colours of the cichlids are amazing.

Tank is running now although I have not added an ammonia source. The community tank had some health issues recently (worms) so nothing from there is going to be used to kickstart a cycle.

Welcome cpfc :raisehand:

I suggest you give a general location in your profile

to assist with any suggestions

With some basic experience in tropical fish it should be

a reasonably painless progression

Wash the sand well for best water clarity

what are the water parameters you have for your area

I guess you know the basics of culturing filter bacteria before

adding the fish, so while you wait you need to review what species

takes your interest and then make a list

From there it's only a matter of seeing what's compatible in water

parameters and adjusting the water or list :thumb

do your homework and let us know what takes your eye

Chris

I am spoilt as there is also Mark at Asquith if I have time for a chat;) I do not recall seeing many cichlids at Reef. I will have to go back.

I suggest you visit Reef aquarium and have a chat with Anthony :thumb

seeing as you are in the area

Chris

It is good to see what people have, why and why it works. Thanks. I will be looking at the fish you named.

Hi,

There are alot of very good looking cichlids to choose. If it were me i would choose Tanganyikan cichlids.(lik i ave :B )

Sorry bout the long post, and dont no about the filter sorry.

Cooder

About 2 months ago I was given a privilege to convert and maintain a tropical 4x18x20 tank at work into whatever I want. I decided an African Cichlid tank.

It is larger than yours but you can get some ideas.

Here's what I did:

- removed all gravel, replaced with pool filter sand

- added some calcium rocks I bought long time ago from St. George, not cheap, around $8/kg that time, helps buffer the water

- there was an Aqua Nova canister, I think it does 1200lph. Not too bad, I took it home and gave a good clean, added & replaced media

- added a second filter, eheim 2217. My plan is to clean 1 canister every 6 months or so, as I probably need to take it home to clean it

- my plan was to stock with a small colony of saulosi, e. yellows, n another mbuna

- i couldn't help my self, I ended up with 9 saulosi, 1 peacock, 1 e. blue, 2 perlmutts, 5 hongis, 2 e. yellows, 1 ventralis, 3 gold comps. They're all juveniles

- I'm watching the Tangs closely in case they don't fare well. So far they're getting along fine

Here's some pics:

Early days:

IPB Image

Now:

IPB Image

I'm having problem with the brown algae. I've just put a bristlenose this week hoping it will help a bit.

I really recommend saulosi, one reason is both male and female are colorful. Make sure you get good quality ones. They have great personalities and interesting to watch.

Bunnings sand is fine, but I don't use it here as it is too fine. Don't want it sucked into the canisters. I use it at home though.

I'd avoid any artificial decor as it's a sore to the eyes especially for a display tank.

Check out some garden centres/landscape supplies for some rocks.

About 2 months ago I was given a privilege to convert and maintain a tropical 4x18x20 tank at work into whatever I want. I decided an African Cichlid tank.

Here's what I did:

- added some calcium rocks I bought long time ago from St. George, not cheap, around $8/kg that time, helps buffer the water

- there was an Aqua Nova canister, I think it does 1200lph. Not too bad, I took it home and gave a good clean, added & replaced media

- added a second filter, eheim 2217. My plan is to clean 1 canister every 6 months or so, as I probably need to take it home to clean it

- my plan was to stock with a small colony of saulosi, e. yellows, n another mbuna

- i couldn't help my self, I ended up with 9 saulosi, 1 peacock, 1 e. blue, 2 perlmutts, 5 hongis, 2 e. yellows, 1 ventralis, 3 gold comps. They're all juveniles

- I'm watching the Tangs closely in case they don't fare well. So far they're getting along fine

Here's some pics:

Early days:

IPB Image

Now:

IPB Image

I'm having problem with the brown algae. I've just put a bristlenose this week hoping it will help a bit.

I really recommend saulosi, one reason is both male and female are colorful. Make sure you get good quality ones. They have great personalities and interesting to watch.

Bunnings sand is fine, but I don't use it here as it is too fine. Don't want it sucked into the canisters. I use it at home though.

I'd avoid any artificial decor as it's a sore to the eyes especially for a display tank.

mate that tank looks beautiful! and the rocks looks nice as :thumbup:

I have an ar 980 as well and had trouble with vibration at first. The powerhead/uptake section should be attached to the top using what looks like large rubber bands to me (they were original so part of the setup) so no chance of it falling from the top. Inside the filter cover closest to the uptake the spray bar should have a rubber o ring on it, slide it along to stop most of the movement causing the vibration. I also have to adjust the lid at that part now and then as its causing most of my noise when it occurs.

I have also considered a canister filter rather than the up top filtration that they have. I havent measured it but size wise looks like the spray bar end should fit into the canister filter hose without much problem. For added filtration you could probably leave the bio matrix and wool in the top as it is now only with the extra power of the canister. If you give it a try please let me know how it goes.

I have an ar 980 as well and had trouble with vibration at first. The powerhead/uptake section should be attached to the top using what looks like large rubber bands to me (they were original so part of the setup) so no chance of it falling from the top. Inside the filter cover closest to the uptake the spray bar should have a rubber o ring on it, slide it along to stop most of the movement causing the vibration. I also have to adjust the lid at that part now and then as its causing most of my noise when it occurs.

I have also considered a canister filter rather than the up top filtration that they have. I havent measured it but size wise looks like the spray bar end should fit into the canister filter hose without much problem. For added filtration you could probably leave the bio matrix and wool in the top as it is now only with the extra power of the canister. If you give it a try please let me know how it goes.

i had a aqua nova with top filter and never used the top filtration i used a cannister and ditched the top filter. I have seen people put the canister spray bar into the tp filter compartment as added extra filtration so it would work.

This is a second hand AR980 with an old style powerhead (part no 1215). I took it apart and the impeller was fine. It clips into the top and is a different design than the newer style which slides in. At the moment the top of the powerhead comes loose to easily although a blob of silicone could sort that. I reckon I will get the Eheim compact 1000 and connect it to the spray bar. I am running the 500lph canister as well as the top filter. Gives me redundancy. Same reason I have 2 300 watt heaters. The cannister intake is well above the bottom so will not pick up sand.

I have tried various vibration suppression methods without success. I think the powerhead is just old.

The LFS reckoned I should use the overtop as well as a cannister and liked my setup and to their credit did not try and sell me anything. They also said a local landcsaper may have cheaper rocks.

Your tank looks good. The saulosi are almost certainly going in. I like the zebra stripes on the males. I was recommended to go the two filter way and luckily the tank came with an overhead and a cannister. Overheads are easy to clean. Electric yellows are a high probability. I am thinking of getting a couple of Bristlenoses soon and let them grow.

My son really wants the aqua one toilet bubbler. I need to find some decent cheap granite. LFS rock prices annoy me.

Here's what I did:

Here's some pics:

Early days:

IPB Image

Now:

IPB Image

I bought some coral sand at the weekend and put it in the filter. pH went over 8. I probably put in a bit much. I removed it from the filter and will monitor and use a filter bag from now on and monitor. I also put in the thermometer and found the water was at 27. To troubleshoot I am trying just the Sera heater. Temp has dropped back to 24 which is what I set. Tonight I will set just the old aquaone and see what happens. Water flow is good. BTW there are no fish in there yet. I want it right and stable first. I have also turned on the lights to encourage some algae.

I keep all my rift lake cichlids at 8.3 to 8.5 so wouldnt be too worried about ph jump to 8, thats assuming your setting it up for P. saulosi . Not good with big jumps with fish in it of course but you are just doing the setup :-).

Do you have any cats in there and if so what species?

I guess I am getting used to the chemistry and finding out how much is needed to cause a modest rise in pH but got more than expected. I have a gh and kh test kit on the way.

I have also swapped over to the aqua one heater on its own and that is also holding 24. I will keep that one as spare and when it gets really cold I may fire it up. I thought 2 heaters would work together and keep a more even temp and not a temp 3C over the setting. Another lesson best learnt without fish.

Species I like at the moment are Saulosi, Electric Yellows, Electric Blues and Afra Cobues which should be undemanding enough for me. The more I look the more I like though. I will have to research how they interact and of course build up the short list.

Looks like I am off to ANL in Terrey Hills on Saturday rock hunting. I am after something dark.

I keep all my rift lake cichlids at 8.3 to 8.5 so wouldnt be too worried about ph jump to 8, thats assuming your setting it up for P. saulosi . Not good with big jumps with fish in it of course but you are just doing the setup :-).

In my ar 980 I had all of the fish you mentioned, colony of cobwe , saulosi got a bit out of hand with breeding though for me. I ended up selling all but the smallest of the last batch of saulosi and put in Tropheus duboisi. The left over saulosi are now almost to selling size so will be getting a new home in the coming weeks.

I have had a sailfin plec in the tank since the start and have had no problems, also had bristlenose but they are now breeding away happily (aka supplying a snack) in my frontosa tank. Parameters in both tanks are the same and the bn adapted quickly.

I like the idea of a sailfin but wonder if it would outgrow the 980. Possibly an excuse for a 6x4x4 when it does;)

Did you have the Sciaenochromis fryeri (Electric Blue)? If so how did it go with aggression to the others. I like the look of the fish but am concerned it will bully the other tankmates too much.

In my ar 980 I had all of the fish you mentioned, colony of cobwe , saulosi got a bit out of hand with breeding though for me. I ended up selling all but the smallest of the last batch of saulosi and put in Tropheus duboisi. The left over saulosi are now almost to selling size so will be getting a new home in the coming weeks.

I have had a sailfin plec in the tank since the start and have had no problems, also had bristlenose but they are now breeding away happily (aka supplying a snack) in my frontosa tank. Parameters in both tanks are the same and the bn adapted quickly.

Hmm, must have been asleep and missed that. My apologies, I didnt have the electric blue, just electric yellow. I had about 20 adult fish in the tank before the influx of fry, along with the ones mentioned I also had 6 peacocks of different varieties such as Monkey Bay (bright blue), a Princess cichlid (sorry dont know proper name atm), Red Zebra and a Lionhead. Was quite a mix of colors and activity, the biggest male peacock ws tank boss and did a great job keeping them all in line.

That is an interesting mix.

I am not sure if I will stick only Mbunas. Interesting the peacock is boss as the brief reading I have done indicates Mbunas intimidate the Peacocks. I guess it teaches me to observe the fish I get and their personality before moving onto the next inhabitants.

Hmm, must have been asleep and missed that. My apologies, I didnt have the electric blue, just electric yellow. I had about 20 adult fish in the tank before the influx of fry, along with the ones mentioned I also had 6 peacocks of different varieties such as Monkey Bay (bright blue), a Princess cichlid (sorry dont know proper name atm), Red Zebra and a Lionhead. Was quite a mix of colors and activity, the biggest male peacock ws tank boss and did a great job keeping them all in line.

I have put in the Eheim Compact 1000 (1000 lph Pump) and connected it to the spray bar using 16 mm PVC tubing and used the elbow that came with it. Works well. $48 for the Eheim from Guppys but it seems to be a parallel import as it has a European plug on it. A replacement Aqua One would be more and not be as flexible. I will probably put lots more matrix in the lid and some purigen to make the most of it. I have wool along the top.

I topped up all the compartments with ceramic noodles when I first got mine too, I kept the black filter material on top and use dacron sheeting from Spotlight on top of that. Going to the shop today to enquire about a canister, the 1 I was looking at has hoses too big to fit through the slot so might need a bit of demolition work to make it a bit wider.

My boss peacock was the biggest fish bar the plec so wasnt surprised he was boss, might have been demoted eventually but he did a good job.

I got mine second hand so the black course filter was not there. Heaps of matrix was as it was a marine tank. My cannister is an Aqua One CF500. The pipes are 13mm PVC and connect to some thinner piping which fits in the lid. Have fun drilling your own holes.

I got the rocks at ANL this morning. Washed them this arfternoon, sterilised some with Milton and then soaked in water lots of Safe. I got the safe with the tank. The rocks had no chlorine/Milton smell. More washing tomorrow. I got half a boot full for $20. When wife/time and kids permit I will silicone it together.

I topped up all the compartments with ceramic noodles when I first got mine too, I kept the black filter material on top and use dacron sheeting from Spotlight on top of that. Going to the shop today to enquire about a canister, the 1 I was looking at has hoses too big to fit through the slot so might need a bit of demolition work to make it a bit wider.

My boss peacock was the biggest fish bar the plec so wasnt surprised he was boss, might have been demoted eventually but he did a good job.

Still more stones to wash and a lot of stickng together to do. I got the first occupant today - An albino bn to fatten up in my tank at work. Lots of algae there for him to munch.

sounds like its all coming together , looking forward to some pics when your done!

Archived