Bristlenose : Question 1

E4G13M4N

<H1>Bristlenose Question?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: sgrunter</STRONG><BR><BR>At What size is it safe to remove the littlies?

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: scitzfish</STRONG><BR><BR>I would say as soon as they have begun to feed normally and they have the colour of their parents, probably a week after becoming free swimming

<br>

Babies are really tough......I once left a few week old babies in an old setup that I was about to break down ie no heater, filteration, light or circulation and they were still fat and healthy 4 weeks later when I discovered them hiding in their cave still

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Craig Douglas</STRONG><BR><BR>What I have done with near 100% success is to remove dad and the babies in their receptacle at day 3 or so after spawning. This simplifies the logistics of moving little ones. I have found they will spawn under normal high Ph and hard water conditions but it is hard to rasie the fry under these conditions, so move them before they hatch.

<br>

Craig.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>hi guys,

<br>

<br>

i have bred bn once, i got 40 fry now, and lost a whole bunch of them.

<br>

what i would like to know is...

<br>

Do i have to trigger them everytime i want them to breed or once i have bred them i dont need to anymore.

<br>

Hung

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wazzablunt</STRONG><BR><BR>Hung,

<br>

<br>

If you have got them to breed just leave them in the same tank as you had them breeding in, they wont need a trigger cause you have already triggered them with watever you put or did to the tank when they spawned the first time. They will just keep on breeding and breeding.

<br>

wazza

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: crusty the clown</STRONG><BR><BR>I have about 40 free swiming fry with dad in a shell in a fry saver net.

<br>

When should I take dad out ?

<br>

Last time I left them in a tank with 2cm electric yellow fry and the bristlenose disapeared over night.They must be tasty

<br>

Thanx Neil

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>i took dad out when the fry was free swimming... all 40 fry grew fine they are about 3cm now.

<br>

Thanx wazza, good to know you dont have to go through the whole process everytime.

<br>

Another question... How often does your bn breed?????

<br>

Hung

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wazzablunt</STRONG><BR><BR>Hung,

<br>

<br>

Bristlenose will breed about 2 weeks after they have bred previously. But be sure to take the fry out when they are free swimming because if you don't it will delay the adults from breeding again.

<br>

wazza

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Willy wombat</STRONG><BR><BR>So what is the best thing to feed the babies. I have 30 in a fry saver at the moment, and they have sucked all the algae off it. I need to know what else i can put in the saver to keep em growing. i was told they need to eat wood?

<br>

Pls help

<br>

WW

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: davidhooton</STRONG><BR><BR>I usually just go and shake the stump that they breed in every 3 weeks, and pull another 40 fry out!

<br>

I have a 1 x 1 tank with about 120 fry in it now

they just keep breeding!

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>Give them algae wafers, zucchini, pumpkin, silver beet, lettuce. Mine have enjoyed and grown on all those. I did have a small bit of wood in there with them. They didn't pay much attention to it though.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Damn it,

<br>

Its been over a month for me now.

<br>

I did a large water change the other day and now luck.

<br>

I thought that the female is plump and the water change should do the trick.

<br>

Does anyone knows why my Bn are not breeding regularly like everyone else?

<br>

I have 1 large male and female and another smaller female.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: tifkat</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi guys,

<br>

I've been pretty quiet for a whle now.. but I thought I'd drop in and check out the new forum, and share someinteresting news

<br>

My tank has been plodding along since I got my fish at the auction (so long ago it now seems) and all but 1 of them are still alive (wonders never cease!).

<br>

I've been thinking of doing some 'landscaping' of the tank as thinks are still just sitting where I dumped them when I put them in.

<br>

Also one of my lionheads has taken to picking up pebbles from under a minor 'overhang' and moving them out to leave a clean glass floor, so I thought I'd give him a bit of a hand.

<br>

To my surprise when I moved one rock (to move the one from which he has been clearing the pebbles from) I felt something tickle my finger and upon turning it over, theres a boy bristlenose hovering over a bunch of about 20 (rough estimate) little orange balls.

<br>

now I've read enough on these forums to know what that means! They're about the size of a small split pea. Does anyone know how far along these little guys are?

<br>

I have no other tanks (just my 4 footer - my single rented room is too small for anything more) and no special fry enclosures or anything. i doubt that any sort of fry are going to survive in this tank. (4 x P saulosi, 4 x lionheads, 5 x BNs)

<br>

Oh yeah, one of the P saulosi is a nice light shade of blue and regularly has very dark blue bars (they're not permenant yet - do they get permenant?) Another looks to be turning blue, but it's not in any hurry and no show of bars.

<br>

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know.

<br>

tifkat

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey there,

<br>

I guess its time to get a new tank, the eggs are only recently hatch probably a few days. The saulosi blue colour indicates that the male is colouring up and yes it will stay blue and females stay orange.

<br>

HTH

<br>

Hung

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: tifkat</STRONG><BR><BR>Wow.. I'm gettin excited (and worried at the same time...)

<br>

I saw the saulosi hanging around near the rock.. and I thought something might be up.. I might have progress.

<br>

I've been checking out my resources and I seem to have a container I'm willing to sacrifice, and my fishnet I can sacrifice until I get money to buy a new one, and I have styrofoam left over from when I set my tank up.. all I need is silicone to make a fry enclosure.

<br>

So I decided until I do that and let it 'cure' I need to get them out of there. I filled up my 'fisk tank purposes only' bucket with water from the tank, and moved the rock that they were on, and guess what? They've got tiny eeny weeny little tails!! and some of them were barely attached to the rock, so I moved it to the bucket with the water and a flexible air stonecoiled up and to one side. The daddy BN swam off, but kept hovering around the area to I caught him with the net and moved him too. there's no heater in the bucket though

<br>

So I moved the light to the bucket in the hope that it will keep it war until I can (a) compose some way of letting the bucket sit in the tank, and then I can go ahead and make the fry enclosure. Looks like more than 20 eggs too..

<br>

I hope the move of the rock / dad weren't the wrong thing to do at this stage.

<br>

I'm going to go bug upsatirs to see if they have some suitable silicone (since they bug me at 11pm to fix their computer

<br>

Anymore advice for a first timer in trying to save fry?

<br>

tifkat

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>You are doing fine mate keep it up.

<br>

To get you even more excited, some people have >100 fry in one batch.

<br>

I cant really give you any advice as i only bred them once (first timer too).

<br>

Goodluck.

<br>

Oh yeah bout the fry enclosure, there are situations where the fish try to suck the fry out of through the net and that you definitely need to keep an eye out. Some people have lost their babies this way.

<br>

HTH

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: tifkat</STRONG><BR><BR>Sweet!

<br>

I searched the web a bit and found quite a few people who relocated the pipe/rock/log + dad where the eggs were laid around day 3, and then removed dad after they hatched.

<br>

So once my fry saver was dried, I re-located my school into the fry saver and returned rock and dad to the tank. I located the saver so that the flow from my Aquaclear 500 flowed over the area where the newly hatched babies were.

<br>

This morning they look more brown and the yellow sack is hardly noticeable. I'm looking forward to see how much they've grown by the time I get home tonight

<br>

I guess I better buy a 2 footer with filter and heater to put these guys in within the next week. Anyone selling?

<br>

Also read a number of people who use canned beans / peas or the traditional zucchini to feed the babies. So I guess I better go shopping with some of that sort of thing also.

<br>

tifkat

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Did you do a head count???

<br>

I guess as the bn multiply so does the tanks.

</p></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: tifkat</STRONG><BR><BR>Yeah.. about 1/3 of them made 20.. so I'm estimating 60.

<br>

HAven't gotten a tank yet. Might have to pay some 'real money' ™ and go to the LFS *shudder*

<br>

I might also drop a line in the classifieds forums to see if anyone has something they'd sell me this Sunday.

<br>

tifkat

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: diverdowntown</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey dude. You can let those little dudes loose within a week or two. They'll be cool. I'd feed them anything that has veggies in it. Pretty rad littles dude's huh. Far out little cats. Take it easy man.

Archived