cuckoo

vadnappa

How many cuckoo's is everyone getting in a mouthful?

I got some wild caughts a few months ago and they have started breeding. First attempt was for a lone fry second I got 4 out and had a third last week of 13.

on and off i have had massive i mean 20-30 red empress host

before yellow tail acei and lithos around that 10-15 mark

and depends on size of cuckoos and diet i reckon

sometimes i get them a touch earlier and tumble them gently with the host eggs still in tumbler and watch them disapear :)

Yeah I have been stripping on day 3, cuckoos are head and tail. I tumble and let them feed on all the host eggs then into a fry saver to grow out a bit. Crazy fast growth rate on these guys.

8cm+ more age i say than size

what they do is after a while they stop the host fish from breeding so you will see complete stop no mouthfuls

so then you need to change host ...Once you do that the other host(the ones that stopped breeding) will start to breed again i notice takes them 1 month or so to get back in to action...

i have used yellow tail acei - red emp - lithos - now demasoni

not so much luck with mbuna best way is take out caves and so on so they breed in open and cuckoos get a chance to drop eggs

i give my cuckoos baby brine shrimp on occassion to get them excited and make more eggs(well i think it helps :)

i try never to keep the eggs(host fish) even if i strip early i notice they can come out deformed and so on because of the cuckoos probably damaging them early so i feed them or let the cuckoos eat them..

cuckoos are like canibals they eat each other as well and kill each other off i have great success using the outside hang on fry savers and keep an eye on them once they look strong and free swimming i release them in a tank and let them grow with other fry...

hope this helps :)

I found that swapping the host species around would normally allow the hosts to start breeding again but I had a colony of acei that would stop as soon as the cuckoos went back into their tank.

I'd say its the pressures/stress of the multis pushing in during the Cichlid breeding process, once its continual the Cichlids gain vigilance and become deterred from breeding.

I have a male heavy red emp colony that has never stopped breeding at the cats presence.

Maybe competition between male red emps keeps desire to keep trying ?? Maybe ??

This is all great information from everyone!

Can't wait to start this adventure!

One question I have though which I can't find a definite answer online is: How old does the Cuckoo's need to be before they start to breed?

Archived