Lone Cyno afra (Cobue) with Ps saulosi?

luis

I have a 3ft tank with 1m3f saulosi, 1m4f cobue, and 4x Synodontis lucipinnis. This is an established tank that I set up in 2012 and has had this composition since June 2013.

I have had the occasional aggression problem with the female saulosi but in the last few days it's gotten pretty bad: I had to remove a female that was looking a bit beat up, and that lead to one of the remaining 2 females to get even more beat up, to the point that I'm not sure that she will survive. She is now in the hospital tank and I'm hoping she will recover.

Now I've often thought of removing the female cobue's as they are not very attractive but the male cobue has to be the best looking fish in the tank and I've had him since 2012.

So I guess my question is: is the tank likely to work with say 1m6f saulosi, 1m cobue, and the lucipinnis? I am not worried about hybrids as I do not keep fry from this tank.

u are better off getting a bigger tank

no less then a 4ft or they are going to

to beat the living life out of each other

with Mbuna u are better off with a big tank

a 3ft is not good for mbuna adults

fry yes but not adults

Saulosi can be kept in three foot tank, I do it, but the trick is numbers. I have 4 males and about 20 other fish from breeding females to 3cm fry. I see aggression in the tank but my breeders always look good.

The male is now segregated in the display tank and victim 2 is recovering well in the hospital tank. Victim 1 is fully recovered, eating well but still in the HT for now. I will reintroduce her to the display tank tonight.

yanke yes a 4ft would be better but is unfortunately not an option at this point. They are generally not beating the life out of each other, there are a few nipped fins nothing more. I think the increased summer temps may have something to with the increased "activity". I've also been keeping the lights off to keep the heat down and I've noticed the saulosi male is a lot less shy with lights out.

Josh, is that a standard 3ft tank? Mine is 92l x 36w x 51h so may be a bit smaller. Got any pics? :)

I am inclined to try adding more female saulosi as a first step to see how they go, then remove some of the cobue if necessary. If that doesn't work then I will consider other tanks.

• 2 months later...

Update: all fish recovered well and are back in the tank and getting along great. Although I am a bit unsure about the largest female as she's got just a bit of blue colour under the yellow and faint bars... Either very dominant or male in disguise..

I have a lead on a used 4ft tank+stand, if all goes to plan will pick up tomorrow. Then I'll look at getting more females to add some colour and minimise aggression. :)

Archived