painting a tank

Fins

<H1>painting a tank, what type of paint ??</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Harward</STRONG><BR><BR>So yetserday i go to the LFS to buy some calvus, i end up leaving with a new 72x18x18. I have decided to paint the background of this one as it's gonna be kept in my lounge room for a loooong time.

<br>

<br>

What sort of paint should i use ?

<br>

<br>

And while we're at it feel free to list you favourite background colour. I'm still undecided between dark blue(almost black) and a lighter blue.

<br>

<br>

Thanks

<br>

Matt

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

<br>

I used oil based paint. Acrylic won't stick to the glass. Forget about buying those stuff to make acrylic paint to stick on a glass.

<br>

<br>

My fave color is black, as it gives an impression of endlessnes & empty. Also it's a neutral color.

<br>

<br>

Dark grey works better than any blue on the fish...

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

<br>

DD

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>I use blackboard paint works well 2 coat finish

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ndoboi</STRONG><BR><BR>Im a big fan of matt black spray paint, from any hardware

<br>

store. Cheap, great look. Just make sure you clean the glass

<br>

well before painting.

<br>

My latest tank (48x18x20) I even painted the bottom black

<br>

as I have a black sand substrate with sand sifters

<br>

(Ectodus Descampsi) - the tank looks great even when their

<br>

breeding pit reaches all the way to the glass.

<br>

<br>

<br>

Steve

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bimborocks</STRONG><BR><BR>i think the one colour looks not so great so i painted the back of my tank with a sponge usind blue paint. then when that was dry if you looked from th efront there was patched which were solid blue with lightish specks and flecks. i think got a can of black paint and painted the back (over the blue) when it is dry it looks really good with the back mainly blue with darcker patches and specks of black/dark blue. i think it looks way better than just the solid blue

<br>

<br>

just a thought but its sorta hard to explain

<br>

<br>

James

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: akaomar</STRONG><BR><BR>hi

<br>

i have just painted my 2foot and my 4foot black my fish love it

<br>

<br>

i keep jack dempseys and they get really scared when you walk towards the tank,,,now you hit the glass and they don't hide

<br>

<br>

they even swim on the top

<br>

<br>

so i guess that most ppl go with black only if i had a pic i would of sent it

<br>

<br>

<br>

omar

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BengaBoy</STRONG><BR><BR>I used acrylic

matt

paint and put it on with a roller

<br>

no problems at all

<br>

I dont know why one would have problems with acrylic paint sticking to glass?

<br>

You could paint some plants on in green then paint over the top of that blue, or green or black.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Harward</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks everyone !!

<br>

<br>

Black it is......

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: aymenz</STRONG><BR><BR>

hey harward....

<br>

my advice is to choose and paint using the oil based black paint .....

<br>

<br>

only because akaomar's dad is a professional painter and he told him to use this type of paint as stated before

<br>

<br>

Quote:

i painted my 2foot and 4foot black paint

<br>

<br>

but he forgot to mention what type of paint and the color...

<br>

<br>

so go ahead and you won't regret it....

<br>

<br>

</DIV>

Archived