Frontosa with "Float" problem

One of my female frontosas which is approx. 15cm has suspended her self in the corner of the tank where she was digging up earlier last week where she also "sits" and sleeps. But the last few days she has been swimming around this area of the corner, flapping her fins and tail vigorously, without actualling swimming fast (or should I say in the same spot). It's like shes fanning something but there is nothing but sand in the corner.

Anyone know whats wrong? She does seem to have a fat tummy which I think is eggs, it has been 2 or so months since she held last. confused.gif

Cheers

Perhaps she has float"...is she trying to stop herself rising to the surface?

Andrea smile.gif

Yes! Thats the one!

When she lets her self go, she rises fast, very fast to the surface. cryblow.gif

What can I do? dntknw.gif Is it possible to "squeeze" her better? To let out the air?

Cheers

Perhaps she has float"...is she trying to stop herself rising to the surface?

Andrea smile.gif

Yes! Thats the one!

When she lets her self go, she rises fast, very fast to the surface. cryblow.gif

What can I do? dntknw.gif Is it possible to "squeeze" her better? To let out the air?

Cheers

you have to pop the swim bladder to dispel the air have a look in cichlid forum in frotosa corner theres an article about bloat in there it will show you how to go about it it has a diagram to show how to do it good luck with it mate

I strongly advise you against needle insertion. More often than not, they come good on their own. It is often caused through gulping at food (hence taking in air at the same time) on the water surface. It is best to use sinking or pre-moistened foods.

Andrea smile.gif

Thanks merjo and everyone else smile.gif

I last fed her orca pellets which were first soaked in a cup of water for 1/2 hour to an hour, I normally just chuck them straight in after 2-5 minutes.

She ate lots I can tell you that much, maybe around 15+ individual pellets, and they arent small pellets. I'll feed less in the future and hope she gets well soon.

I'll let you guys know.

Cheers

Thanks merjo and everyone else  smile.gif

I last fed her orca pellets which were first soaked in a cup of water for 1/2 hour to an hour, I normally just chuck them straight in after 2-5 minutes.

She ate lots I can tell you that much, maybe around 15+ individual pellets, and they arent small pellets. I'll feed less in the future and hope she gets well soon.

I'll let you guys know.

Cheers

happy it went well mate thats a last resort stickin the pin in i hope she recovers nicely for you mate cheers lee thumbup.gif

I get this some times with wild caught Frontosa I found the best thing to do is only feed them every second or third day also make sure the food does not float on the surface of the water and turn of any airstones in the tank. It then clears in a few days.

Thanks for all the info ppl I'll be more careful in the future.

She was still doing it when I woke up this morning, I just returned from work not long ago and she seems to have recovered from it. thumbup.gif She's normal again.

Two days of not stop flapping around, I reckon she would be hell tired no.gif

Cheers

Archived