Mbuna sp. - what are you keeping?

yellow

What Mbuna species are you currently keeping? A post in another thread made me wonder what is around and what is not. For commercial and conservationist use, it might help us to know what's being kept and what's not.

I know I'm curious.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi yellow,

I only have breed yellows, msobo, afra cobwe, pulpicans, demons, and elongatus "chewere". Oh I suppose that is a decent amount lol. I am always hoping to get hold of elongatus "neon spot" but they seem to have disappeared :(.

Cheers

Rosco

That's a great collection Rosco. Well done! :clap

elongatus "neon spot"

That's a shame. I thought it might have gone as I haven't seen anyone advertising them for a while. Who knows, maybe someone who has them will see this topic and say they have them.

That's why I thought this might be a good idea. At least this way we'll see who has what and what to watch out for. It's also good advertising. :lol3:;)

Msobo, Saulosi, Demasoni and flavus.

I can remember when Neon spots couldn't be given away.

posted this in the baliodigma thread but relevant to add to this thread also

quick list of Mbuna that seems to be scarce in NSW while other states may have them

Ps. sp Membe Deep never heard of anyone having spawned them

Ps. aurora they went they showed up again now they seem to have faded away again

Ps. hajomaylandi seem to have gone out of favour

Ps. daktari suppose 5 yrs since the last ones I saw

Ps. barlowi around but not in large numbers

Ps. sp neon spot scarce in NSW but can be found in WA and QLD

C. afra chewere Tutters has been searching for over a year to find these

Tropheops sp black scarce and maybe lost

Mel. dialeptus dwarf auratus saw some in Melb the other month and they are first I'd seen in years

Mel. exasperatus aka joanjohnsonae lost to NSW for years until Dfishkeeper sent some down here but still scarce to find

Mel. fuscus show up every now and then but not a steady supply around

Mel. johanni hard to find, plenty of interruptus around but the true johanni could be lost

Jason is a very familiar pattern with the hobby that fish are so common the become rare as most hobbiest's

only see them as a money making commodity rather than species they just want to keep because they love them

the other problem is the number of cichlid keepers in the country and the number of tanks they are running

because as the number of species increase so does the choice of what you are able to keep with limits tank space

how many large fish rooms have closed down do to perceived or actual running costs

it's the nature of the beast that the hobby giveth :spaz: and the hobby taketh away :bye:

Jason,

I can remember them getting passed in at auctions! Mbuna seem to come and go very quickly. 12 months ago I couldn't get any Demasoni fry, now it seems like everyone is keeping them.

What about the"long Pelvics" and the "Membe deep" haven't seen these guys around.

Mbamba Bay, m Pulpican (Kingsizei), Johannii, Red top Zebra.

Rosco I would be interested in swapping a couple of Pulpicans with you at some stage in the future :yes:

i had the long pelvics about 2 years ago, but it got to the stage where i couldnt give the fry away.

Im not in this hobby for the money but i gotta get something back for food, electricity and water conditioners, so gave the colony away

Luke from what I can find I believe they are one in the same

Josh the sp. long pelvic is one I remembered after I had posted

Ken had a lot of mbuna species but I don't know if he is still keeping them

posted this in the baliodigma thread but relevant to add to this thread also

quick list of Mbuna that seems to be scarce in NSW while other states may have them

Ps. aurora they went they showed up again now they seem to have faded away again

Mel. dialeptus dwarf auratus saw some in Melb the other month and they are first I'd seen in years

Mel. exasperatus aka joanjohnsonae lost to NSW for years until Dfishkeeper sent some down here but still scarce to find

Mel. johanni hard to find, plenty of interruptus around but the true johanni could be lost

Jason is a very familiar pattern with the hobby that fish are so common the become rare as most hobbiest's

only see them as a money making commodity rather than species they just want to keep because they love them

the other problem is the number of cichlid keepers in the country and the number of tanks they are running

because as the number of species increase so does the choice of what you are able to keep with limits tank space

how many large fish rooms have closed down do to perceived or actual running costs

it's the nature of the beast that the hobby giveth :spaz: and the hobby taketh away :bye:

Hi

I currently have some membe deep fry growing up but not the easiest to breed that is for sure

John

It would be nice to get some neon spots down here again I would find room in my room.

Mace, I do make it up to the occasional nswcs meeting so if you can make it there I can bring some up then. But I don't really have time for much else.

Cheers

Rosco

Sounds good mate, I will keep an eye out for the next meeting date, will confirm if I can get there myself and PM you beforehand. I would like to get a different bloodline into the colony....

Cheers

Mace is in my neck of the woods Rosco. If you guys can arrange it, I will be the courier. I go to most meeting these days.

What about the"long Pelvics"

i had the long pelvics about 2 years ago, but it got to the stage where i couldnt give the fry away.

Even when they first arrived, they were never really that popular. I must admit that made me laugh a lot back in the day; not at you Frankenstrat, just in general.

I can remember them getting passed in at auctions!

Wow, I didn't realise it got that bad for them.

That's why I thought this topic might be a good idea. It'll give us all a chance to see what everyone is keeping, and what's becoming scarce or missing. More importantly, it will give us the opportunity to network!

By beasts do you mean humans Chris ;)

Great thread yellow.

Good to know whats still out there and chat to fellow fans.

Well im my rack system ive got maingano,rusty,and pulpican fry on the go

Just got some polit fry sent down here from a member(thanks mate),and tryin to source some more to start a nice colony.

But im still on the look out for some nice rareish mbuna to start a nice breeding colonly and get some good quality fry out there to keep the species going.

Any suggestions guys.

Cheers

Brett

Link, im not 100% sure mate, Im fairly sure they are Interruptus, but according to Ad Konings, I cannot draw a definite conclusion...so I have attached pics of M & F for opinions. They have spawned three times so far, about 7-8cm long and one female purchased from same brood.To me the darker and breeding F looks much like interruptus, and has taken on a much duller and darker hue since first brood and more aggressive. Anyone's thoughts would be much appreciated. If interested I have fry on the grow for these plus Mbamba and nearly Kingsizei...(the females keep spitting or swallowing - going to strip straight away from now on)

I have also posted a pic of Mbamba Bay (nearly Jalo looking) fry in tumbler.20130604_2118141_zps9493e7bd.jpg20130604_2115371_zpsc73ddaa1.jpg20130604_2118361_zpsae908e2e.jpg

Archived