Pleco and Bristlenose Catfish

Ged

</DIV><H1>Pleco and Bristlenose?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: huyey</STRONG><BR><BR>I have a common pelco in my four foot tank which does a reasonable job at cleaning the algae. Its about 6-7cm long. I would like to add in some bristle nose catfish to help this guy out. My question is, will the two species be alright in the same tank?

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

Huy

<P><STRONG>Author: wazzablunt</STRONG><BR><BR>Huy,

<br>

The two species should be fine together, the bristle noses are very good at cleaning the algae so if your pleco isnt doing its job well enough. (If you think that its not eating the algae enough, maybe try feeding them less so it gets hungry). Also, get a few and when they grow up you might end up with a pair or trio that could provide alot of fry!.

<br>

wazza

<P><STRONG>Author: huyey</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Wazza,

<br>

Thanks for the advice. I bought the pelco about 2 weeks ago and have not fed him any of the foods that was suggested on this site (such as zucchuni, pumpkin or wafers), only letting him graze on the algae. However, there still seems to be still some algae left (which is not alot). Anyway, I will buy some bristle nose.

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

Huy

<P><STRONG>Author: wazzablunt</STRONG><BR><BR>It's good to know that your Pleco is doing its job. I would expect it to be eating a good amount of algae even if you were overfeeding it just a little bit. Remember that the Plecos get very big. So in time it may be better for you to buy a bigger tank. But your tank should be a good size for a long time.

wazza

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: OLD</STRONG><BR><BR>They'll be fine,i grew my common pleco up to 23cm along with 4 bristlenoses in a 4footer without any problems but when added my 25cm Gibbiceps the common pleco didnt like it,there was no aggression but you could tell he didnt like the newcomer in his tank

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: huyey</STRONG><BR><BR>I did not realise the common pelco could grow that big in a 4 footer tank. OLD, what are you feeding your pelco? I might get the same stuff for mine.

<P><STRONG>Author: OLD</STRONG><BR><BR>I feed them zuccini pieces,use a small rock with a rubber band to hold the zuccini on. Ive found that most plecos will grow to almost max size regardless of tank size:)^l

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: huyey</STRONG><BR><BR>How did you prepare the zuccinni? Did you have to cook it or anything? I gave mine cuccumber but he did not even touch it.

<P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>I have found the bigger the pleco/ BNs get, the lazier they get at keeping things clean or the more picky towards which type of algae they will eat.

<br>

It's for this reason that I generally end up swapping my BN's as they get real big (or selling them) in place of smaller baby ones which go for their life on the algae!

<br>

As for compatibility -- *shrugs*

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Adam

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: OLD</STRONG><BR><BR>I usually just cut the zuccini in half lengthways then in half again atlhough it depends on the number and size of your fish but it doesnt take long to work out how much is required, i give them as much as they can eat in one night. I cut the skin off but you dont have to,i then rinse it under hot water and put it in the tank. In my experience it takes a couple of days before they will begin to fed on the zuccini/cucumber but once they do theres no stoppin 'em.

Archived