wave makers... your experiences

Mattzilla

I've been considering adding a wave maker to my 6x2x2 discus tank to increase general waterflow in order to maximise the filtration potential of my sump filter.

I guess if there is a higher flow in the water, waste particals are more likely to get swept over into the sump and therefore filtered out of the water.

I've never used them so want some feedback. pros, cons, brands etc

also what volume pump would i get to create flow but now blow my fish all over the place.

also i like the idea of a moving head on the wave maker so that the flow is constantly moving around and not fixed in one spot

anyway, tell me what you know

thanks

matt

Hey mate, couldn't recommend them any more than I already do.

There are some online ones with I think sun sun, that have a powerful magnet bracket holder instead of suction caps that release all the time.

Put wmaker in position and put outside magnet adjacent to on outside of tank and it's solid.

A 2000 l/h would do nicely for discus.

A double headed 3000 l/h can work fine also but placed a little lower and pointed upwards with each outlet veering towards the outsides of tank, which the flow created in water clashes against each other reducing heavy flow but maintaining turbulence.

2000 l/h is best bet for discus,, just position and play around to get it right.

Theres not much cons in these situations because it's just the matter of the right tool for the job.

Very low wattage and very cheap to buy.

They do large turnover without the turbulence, so it's not comparible to compare wave makers and power heads for liter per hours.

I threw away all my power heads and replaced with wave makers,,, work better and cheaper to run.

Just do it. Used well, they absolutely improve the mechanical filtration by ensuring particles stay suspended for longer until they get sucked up by your filter.

I have sand as substrate and used to have unsightly fish poo accumulating in one corner or another depending on how the rocks were arranged. I decided to get a wave maker to eliminate dead spots, installed it in the tank about 2 years ago and I've never looked back. I've just checked right now and I can not find one piece of poo, not even in hiding places where stuff would previously get trapped. This is on a 3ft tank with mbuna and a single wave maker does the trick.

Regarding brands: I first got a Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 (1,600l/h) and while it worked fine it had a tendency to rattle quite loudly. If I jiggled it around a bit the rattling would stop but would eventually return. So I returned it and got a Tunze 6025 instead (2,800l/h) for a bit more $$, it's quieter and better designed (due to how the mount works you can point in any direction). More recently I've switched to a 6020 as it's a bit smaller and easier to hide behind my rocks, it also has a flow deflector that you can use to "fan out" the flow if you wish.

I can highly recommend either of the Tunze wave makers.

Pros:

* moves water around!

Cons:

* can make noise,

* uses electricity (mine is 4w)

* more stuff in the tank?

Archived