Advice on first time African Cichlid Tank

ajhoward

Hey

Thanks for having me on the forums. I've had my aquarium for awhile and I'm considering changing to a African Cichlid tank which would my first time. I have a few questions some are kind of laughable but I want to hear a opinion from some knowledgeable people. I really appreciate any advice that you all can give me and I apologize for any absurd questions.

So my tank setup:

91cm x 45cm x 30cm

Approx 135L

BioPro EF-1200 1200lph canister filter

SunSun JVP-100 2500lph wave maker

2 x 1800Lumen 20W LED Floodlights

3 x Amazon Sword, 2 x Java Fern, 1 Wisteria, 3 x Rush and 1 bunch of Java Moss

My current stock:

3 x Bolivian Ram

4 x Harlequin Rasbora

4 x Neon Rainbowfish

3 x Rifle Shrimp

1 x Clown Loach

1 x Clam

Water Paremeters:

PH 7.8

GH 8

KH 3

Now I've been doing research and what I've found is that based on my size tank, my fish options would be...

1. Pseudotropheus Saulosi

or

2. Pseudotropheus Acei and Labidochromis Caeruleus

If these are suitable....

1. What is the correct M/F ratio?

2. How many in total can I have in the tank?

3. Will my plants work with these fish?

4. My shrimp are about 4-5 cm long, will they work these fish, if not, will a large crayfish be ok?

5. What are personalities like with these fish?.My stock I have at the moment are quite active and inquisitive and there is a good spread throughout the different levels in the tank. I'm a little concerned that if I can't have plants and only 1 or 2 species of fish it may be a bit bland.

6. What rocks would be suitable?

7. What is the best technique to get that correct M/F ratio?

8. Apparently its best to a few male at first to find the dominant male, then remove the less dominant males once it is found...is that correct?

9. What would you suggest to bring my water to the required levels?

Your fish selection are fine for that tank. Its only a little tank and I would recommend not overly stocking it too much to start off with.

1. There is no hard and fast rule for ratio. You could have 1 male and 3 or 4 females. You could have 2 males and 5 or 6 females. i normally like to go 2 males so i have a backup in case one dies and just keep more females as it spreads aggression in the tank.

2. This is always a tough question because its always so variable. But generally start low and build up if you think you have the space. For 2 species maybe pick 5 of each to start. People forget that small fish grow and then find they have tank crashes etc as the load on them become unbearable. My neighbour is forever handballing me her fish because they keep outgrowing her tank.

3. Plants will be a gonna I'm afraid mate, the fish will be rubbing their tummy though !!

4. Shrimp will likely get eaten at some stage and if you put anything with claws/pincers in a fishtank then you will see your fish disappear at night when they sleep.

5. Cichlids are quite active. You cant really compare a cichlid tank to a planted because they are 2 totally different environments. Really its a personal decision to have a change or not. I've never looked back though.

6. Any rocks are suitable. Whatever suits your eyes.

7. Get some fish, grow them up and remove excess males as you see them. If you add fish then try to make sure they are different blood lines... eg buy stock from a different shop or breeder.

8. as above.

9. Best way to buff your water is to use a substrate like aragonite. Its mineral content will help buff the water. Things like limestone can help. If your cannister is large enough you can put a little coral in it.

phew..think thats it :p

Lol. Thanks a lot chuckmeister.

3. Plants will be a gonna I'm afraid mate, the fish will be rubbing their tummy though !!

4. Shrimp will likely get eaten at some stage and if you put anything with claws/pincers in a fishtank then you will see your fish disappear at night when they sleep.

So these fish are really that aggressive?. I've watched youtube videos and the acei definitely seem more placid. The dominant saulosi male seems to continually chase the others. Is it mainly the colors that people like these so much?

Since you've had non african cichlids with other fish species and gone to African Cichlids, what makes you happy not to go back?

What about some Pseudotropheus Acei with the Pseudotropheus Saulosi will that also be a option?

Where are you from in Australia? If from Sydney go see Andrew at Labirynth aquariums. Excellent advice and knowledge to be gained.

Yeah thanks. That I was thinking today. Im in Campbelltown. Ill go in have a look and have a chat to them.

Archived