Filter Media Performance

Fierce Deity Link

Dude that stuff would degrade and break up.

Even if you used it briefly and disposed of to replace with new, I'd say irritating bits would break free and mess with the fish.

If you want something cheap and disposable to continuously replace and polishes the water amazing, even better than wool.

Then from bunnings in the weed mat section is landscapers soil/sand ground stabilizer blanket,,,, it's used inside of soak wells to and labeling on package says a good fine particle filtration material. (bright white in color).

I think it's doubled over in the roll,, and folds out to 1.2m wide sheets on a 20m or 60m roll I think.

I use to use it all the time, and lasts for ever there's so much.

It's thin like 3-4mm thick,, but jeez it holds a fair whack of stuff considering thickness.

I understand you have little money or dont want to spend alot in the hobby but....

This stuff is full of chemicals like fire retardants unsealed fibreglass is made from petrochemicals and isn't a sealed product, water and batts just fall apart etc..

If your fish are not expensive or you like to experiment then have a crack and let us all know.

Filter wool is cheap. If its too expensive then maybe look at china for your wool. I just bought a ton to fill up a 600 by 600 by 600 section of my sump and cost me 20 bucks from hong kong. I've still got my last lot from 10 years ago. I still wash it through the laundry tub and then though the washing machine and its 10 years old.

Cracks me up how use all jump on the ban wagon of me trying to be cheap or not having much money or not willing to spend it. All I asked had any body tried it cause I thought I read something once before about someone going to try it. Use should read my post properly instead of jumping to conclusions. If you must know I have probably more expansive sump and fish then those that have commented. Running 8ft sump with jap mat 25L of marine pure and 100L of K1. Do your research and you will relise there is over $600 worth of media there not including tank, heaters and pump. So just cause someone asks a question cause they are interested if other people have experimented and there thoughts don't mean they are trying to cut corners or be cheap. Thats what this whole forum is ment to be about.

My apologies for any offense you have taken. I wasn't calling you cheap. I am just following your theme of cost cutting.

I lived in a 2 bedroom townhouse and had 26000 liters of aquariums through it and kept nearly every type of African fish available including some you cant so I know about cost cutting !! My 8*3 has a 6*2*2 sump and has more than 1k of media alone.

Along with answering your question earlier I'd suggest..

Jumping up in your roof cavity, tearing off a corner of your insulation, wetting it and seeing how it goes/looks which should be a good indication how batts react with water. Batts are not a good choice for filter media replacement.

edit - typo and added a bit

my way of looking at it is if the fibres come loose and it

is dangerous to breath I don't feel I want that floating round

in my tank

there are enough things to can irritate the gills without adding

to it with fibres from an insulation bat

as far a media I think foam and jap matting are better bacteria

media and Dacron matting works fine for particulates even if you

are using a sock on the sump inlet

• 7 months later...

Only just come across this post. Don't waste your money buying bio motion or matrix. Matrix is pumice stone, which is naturally formed when larva foam meets the sea and cools locking in heaps of air, these stones have so much air that the stone actually floats. This is the best media to use and its free, if you don't mind spending a few hours collecting from the beach. You can use pumice in your canisters, sumps and even moving bed filters. And if your adventures in aquaponics filters growing plants. I am currently in the process of testing a small aquaponic set up above one my tanks using a  planter box.

Archived