K1 media in sump

bakes

Hi all,

Interested to see how people that are using k1 media have it positioned in their sumps. I have a 6 foot sump, looking to use the k1 without an air pump if possible. Any ideas on how to do this would be great , share a photo if you can

Cheers

As long as the media is tumbling, it doesn't matter how it's done.

If all k1 media is tumbling,,, it's 100% clog free biological.

If not all of it tumbles then it becomes mechanical mostly and biological together. (bad as mechanical because it can't be cleaned at ease like you could a sponge mat).

A decent water flow dropping into a relative smallish area will create a circular tumble effect,,, this will allow the use of k1 without air drive,,,,,, so water flow method may take a lot of trial and error,,, but can Definetely be done.

Buuuuut,,,, much easier with a air pump for sure, and you only need 10w air pump at max for a sump compartment.

This K media I rate very highly,, it's the lifeline and proved dramatic improvements with 20 large adult stingrays in my Fiberglas pond.

My 2500 Cichlid display shortly received a big bubbling tub of K1 media over head,,, now when the two Fx5 cannisters block up all of a sudden,,, there is no crash or disaster.

My sump in my Cichlid breed room has a wire cage full of tumbling media submerged.

My barramundi grow ponds (10000) fish per load has a 80 liter cylinder full of K1 incorporated.

K1 is purely 100% biological 100% the whole time and never blocks.

It takes a lot longer than other medias to house beneficial bacteria but once formed, it's robust adapting to a tumbling highly oxygenated environment.

I honestly don't know why there aren't factory made filters for smaller ornamental purposes yet for K1.

Of the subject a little,,, I little secret I'll let out for who's reading this,,,,, at the bottom of the tumbling K media,,,, if you place a roundish moderate rock/stone, then add a handful of blackworms they will establish and breed,, (but K media needs to be decently matured first).

I sorted out a way to use it without air pump, placed it in last chamber before return pump, put fly screen around egg crate to stop it passing under, cable tied two lengths of egg crate together and draped over baffle to create more of a spread on waterfall. I can only use about 4L of it though-anymore and it doesn't tumble.sorted!

that you can but you would need to maybe set your sump up differently to use it in different chambers.i think it would be trial and error to find the best place that suits your sump.maybe the only way to use k1 in different chambers of your sump would be to use the air pump.ive also seen it used in the weirs in the tank then also in the sump which is the way ill be going soon when i get my new sumps.maybe even siliconing glass on an angle may help so it creates turbulance before exiting to the next chamber thus causing the k1 to tumble naturally.but id say you would need to place this angled glass along the chamber but at the bottom so the k1 doesnt catch underneath or possibly a v shape using two pieces of glass on the angle.food for thought

Archived