Keeping Redback Spiders

E4G13M4N

<H1>RED BACK spiders!!!!!</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ryan</STRONG><BR><BR>hi a frend of mine has alot of red back spiders and was wondering if any one wanted to buy any

<br>

north parra

<br>

email if u are interested

<br>

he said make an offer

<br>

thanks Ryan

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: sgrunter</STRONG><BR><BR>If your friend wants to, he can come around and collect my red backs for free?

<br>

Sooty

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 MooRRii 00</STRONG><BR><BR>if he wants some rare perth ones he can come have mine for free too....

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 Electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>I have 30 in backyard im in perth FREE just for you

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>I used to breed these a few years back

I had the biggest female i have ever seen. She used to breed like crazy and all was fine until i discovered a little hole where they were getting out.

<br>

I ended up getting rid of them soon after but i am still finding them in my room to this day. Lucky their venom works slow.

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 MooRRii 00</STRONG><BR><BR>Doesnt sound like something i would like to wake up too...

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

I can remember being 10 years old and very much in love with my pet female Red Back (

Latrodectus mactans hasselti

). But seriously folks, there are more than enough people out there who would gladly pay to have their Red Backs

removed.

<br>

<br>

For anyone who is thinking of keeping one, I was once bitten by a related species -

Latrodectus geometricus

- and spent an entire week in and out of hospital with repeated bouts of

Anaphylactic Shock.

I almost died three times during that week. The species that bit me is significantly less dangerous than a female Red Back Spider. Yes, the venom usually works slowly, unless you are allergic (as I was). You can't know if you're allergic until you are bitten.

<br>

<br>

Be careful guys! The forum wouldn't be the same without yas!

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Well i bombed my room twice, but it didn't ever seem to kill them all. I would always find them under my chess and under my drawns

<br>

We have since made an agreement

I will not bomb my room anymore and they may only lay 1 egg sack per annum and may not bite me or any family members

Relatives and friends are excluded.

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: chuckmeister</STRONG><BR><BR>Shared a house a few years back with a couple people. The house was built in the early 1900's and had an awesome 3/4 balcony around the house. Did I say balcony, I mean't to say 3/4 drinkin' platform

Anyway we had a pet monster redback that we fed....came out one morning and it had caught itself a mouse.

The only other thing that compares is when I saw a hornet catch a huntsman

<br>

cheers Charlie

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>On my first deployment to vieques Island, Puerto Rico. We set up camp at night, and started to hear "plopping" sounds on top of our tents, I went outside to look, and tarantula's were dropping out of the tree's onto our tents. I estimate the number to be in the 100's. Along came a spider...............

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Andrew, what was the species name of the spider that fanged you? Also you wouldn't happen to know the full name of the White Tipped Spider would you? Read an article somewhere how some lady got bitten and her flesh was just rotting away. She survived, but the scarring is insane

<br>

Cheers

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi guys, and special hi to Paul,

<br>

<br>

Tim, the one that bit me was Latrodectus geometricus (The Brown Widow). Normally not too dangerous, but my reaction was an allergic one. I guess I'm allergic to one of the components in the venom...

<br>

<br>

The White-tailed Spider is Lampona cylindrata and has been known to cause a condition, named Necrotising Arachnidism. Do a Google search on it and you'll be able to find out heaps about it. It is usually the Wolf Spiders (Lycosa spp.) that cause the condition, but White-tails have been implicated in a few cases.

<br>

<br>

Wow, Paul! Most people would cringe at the thought of being surrounded by tarantulas, but I'd probably be in heaven!

Wish I was there... Did you take any pics that you could post?

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Andrew, Cheers for the info. Are the Wolf spiders the ones that have many holes in peoples back yard that people commonly mistake for Funnelweb holes?

<br>

Thanks

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Tim,

<br>

<br>

Those are the ones... They're attractive little spiders, often seen while gardening. They can be found to wander after turning the hose on a flower bed. People are usually bitten when they don garden gloves which have been left on the ground. Wolfies are not overly aggressive. I'm not sure if the condition is attributed to bacteria on their fangs, or a component of their venom - there seems to be some contention over that one.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Just want to clear something up. Is the Black Widow the same as the Red Back? Andrew where were you when you got bitten? It says the Brown Widow is from America. Is it found throughout the world or just US?

<br>

Cheers

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>The Black Widow is the same species as the Red Back, but a different subspecies...

<br>

<br>

Black Widow - Latrodectus mactans mactans

<br>

<br>

Red Back - Latrodectus mactans hasselti (although some taxonomists class it as a separate species - L. hasselti)

<br>

<br>

L. geometricus originated overseas, but has a fairly worldwide distribution now. They are present in Australia.

<br>

<br>

I was at work (at StG) when I was bitten. It crawled out from inside a hole in a rock I was cleaning for a customer. Had me out of action for six days.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Andrew. That was about 15 years ago. I do have pictures buried somewhere. I'm getting ready to retire from the Marines, and hopefully can dig them out eventually, and post them.

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ryan</STRONG><BR><BR>paul that would be great ?

Archived