peppermint food

Limno

Hi

Are all peppermints finicky eaters - I have had mine for 2 years and still have trouble providing them food that they seem to enjoy - not like all my other catties

Any suggestions

cheers

Hey there, I haven't beeen keeping peppermints very long but i find that if i slice a cucumber in half and weigh it down, its gone over night, sometime before.

Mine will go through maybe half a zucchini (uncooked) overnight too.

They seem to pay less attention to pellets or wafers, but i drop some carnovor pellets in the tank on occaiaions also.

HTH

Any suggestions

mine are absolute pigs,they'll munch their way through just about anything,

but mainly zucchini, pumpkin,brocolli,cauliflower, lettuce any green vege, just slightly blanched, they don't like to work to hard for a feed and algae waffers

then as a treat [??once a week,some high protien] shrimp pellets, white bait or whatever flake food i'm using at the time.

i do find it better?? to keep them just on the borderline of hunger, if you keep food in front of them at all times, they can get lazy

HTH, good luck, cheers

Hi

Are all peppermints finicky eaters - I have had mine for 2 years and still have trouble providing them food that they seem to enjoy  - not like all my other catties

Any suggestions

cheers

Hi there,

I haven't had my babies long either but they LOVE zucchini, they also eat half a blanched zucchini in no more than 2 nights. They also love the pleco algae wafers - they go mad for them. Occasionally I will feed them 1/2 a cube of bloodworms which they also enjoy. I tried lettuce the other day and they had a nibble at that but seemed to prefer the zucchini. Goodluck. thumbup.gif

cathy

try romain or chinese lettuce [not as bitter as some when blanched] also try  buckchoy, and put some rocks in a tub of water, [full sun]to grow algae

cheers

Thanks for the tip. I will definately give them a go! thumbup.gif

I find zuchinni is their favourite but they also like butter and oak leaf lettuce (but I think it is mostly available in summer) I also think because of the low bitterness

-worm-

edit: clarification, dont feed them butter LOL.gif thats butter lettuce

Peppermints like a little more "meat" in their diet than common bristle nose. Unfortunately, just because the fish is an Ancistrus or a 'pleco' or a 'whip' does not mean they all enjoy the same diet.

You have to 'fiddle' a bit to find what the species takes to best. There is not a lot of info out there to put you on the right track. It is a bit of trial and error.

My commen B/N, albinos and Orange spots seem to enjoy the same sort of diet (mainly veg), the peppermints, zebras, L204's etc. like to munch on a prawn or two now and again.

Alan.

• 2 months later...

Ok. I have my first healthy batch of kittens (with 2 more coming up).

I have put some cucumber in there a alot of wood. I catch the peps munching on the cucumber, wich is good. They also love eating the wood in th tank.

My question is:

would half a tablet of sera O-Nip be ok

ingredients:

fish protein, wheat germ, marine algae, wheat protein, bio herbs, krill planton, herbal fats, 50 percent freeze dried bloodworms, daphnia, and brione shrimp.

I feed this to my carnivorous catfish, and they go crazy over it.

Would thid be a little too carnivorous for 1-2 week old peppermints?

Cheers,

Hi Mike,

You will probably find that newly hatched peppermints will be a little bit pickier than normal bristlenose babies. I would suggest pouring boiling water over a small piece of zuchinni or lettuce till it sinks and is fairly soft. When this soft it will only last a day in the water so watch the water quality and remove any that is too mushy. After about a week on the vegies you can introduce dry foods. You will know if they are eating as the babies will gorge themselves on appropriate foods till there is a noticeable belly lump when viewed from above.

HTH

Vincent

Hi Mike,

If the growout tank is cycled you can move them pretty fast. However not to a tank too large as they are pretty shy and you would want them to be able to access the food easily. I just use the main tanks water and fill up the growout tank so there are no shocks from changes.

You'd want to be pretty confident in your biofilter as they can be very sensitive to bad water conditions at an early age.

I just tried mine on english spinach (baby spinach) last night and they went nuts for it. maybe try this as a bit of a change. will try bok choy next.

-worm-

Archived