Help scaping my new 6ft cichlid tank

meagan1

I have a brand new 6ft tank! I need help with good suppliers/ cheap ones for the Melbourne/victoria area

What rocks do you use or think look great?/what supplier

What do you think is the best sand and where do you get it from

What do you think about 3D backgrounds and where can you get one's that don't cost 1 million dollars

Cheapest store I've found in Victoria so far would have to be:

Aquarium Supermarket

Mount Derrimut Rd

Derrimut, VIC 3030

(03) 8358 5525

Smooth river stones from a garden or stone shop, with no sharps edges works and is pretty cheap. Otherwise limestone, calcareous sandstone, texas holey rock, slate, marble and even granite.

White play sand from hardware shop mixed with some crushed coral is pretty solid on a budget.

No idea on backgrounds. sorry

I don't like lava rock, it's expensive and looks dirty, but that is my taste and to each their own. I also have had pieces of lava rock that would just want to float and had to drill holes in order for it to sink correctly. I would also add Texas rock to my list of poor landscaping choices, makes me want to vomit, again that is just me.

I would just go to a landscaping place and gather rocks, I have a few stories of gathering rocks around nq, one of them is x rated!

I get my rocks from a landscaping retailer. Just make sure you clean them. Been doing this for years and never had issues with rocks poisoning fish. They're super cheap too!

For $20 you'd get enough rocks to fill a 6x2x2 tank.

I don't like lava rock, it's expensive and looks dirty, but that is my taste and to each their own. I also have had pieces of lava rock that would just want to float and had to drill holes in order for it to sink correctly. I would also add Texas rock to my list of poor landscaping choices, makes me want to vomit, again that is just me.

I would just go to a landscaping place and gather rocks, I have a few stories of gathering rocks around nq, one of them is x rated!

I'll post a picture shortly but I have found a version of whit rock that is black (basically has holes is smooth and raises oh) I agree with you completely white rock vom!

I get my rocks from a landscaping retailer. Just make sure you clean them. Been doing this for years and never had issues with rocks poisoning fish. They're super cheap too!

For $20 you'd get enough rocks to fill a 6x2x2 tank.

That's awesome! Yeah I was looking at going somewhere like that but found a cheapish place $100 for the whole thing!

Cheapest store I've found in Victoria so far would have to be:

Aquarium Supermarket

Mount Derrimut Rd

Derrimut, VIC 3030

(03) 8358 5525

Smooth river stones from a garden or stone shop, with no sharps edges works and is pretty cheap. Otherwise limestone, calcareous sandstone, texas holey rock, slate, marble and even granite.

White play sand from hardware shop mixed with some crushed coral is pretty solid on a budget.

No idea on backgrounds. sorry

Thanks for this it really helped got some slate rock to go between my big feature rocks

Lava rock always look great to me. Slates too. You'd probably only want one specific type of deco tho. Doubt a combination of everything would look nice.

I went with all grey rocks that have streaks of read + some slate thanks :)

Archived