Low PH

E4G13M4N

<H1>Classic low pH behaviour?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: kevy73</STRONG><BR><BR>I have written another posting here after some answers to why my fish might be dying and what I can do to stop it.... I have another question..... I have been trying to research as much info as I can off the net (just hope the boss doesn't see me whilst at work, do you think he would understand that fish are just more important???)

<br>

<br>

I am trying to find out if my fish swimming madly ( and I truly mean madly) about upside down, or flat on their side is a symptom of pH shock or could I possibly have more problems I don't know about yet?

<br>

<br>

Water was tested on Monday 19th May, and ammonia and nitrites were ok.... pH was just VERY low..... 6.2....

<br>

<br>

I can't find any info on this anywhere, and I know I am only a newbie here, but I would really appreciate some help.....

<br>

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

<br>

Kevin

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: saudukar</STRONG><BR><BR>umm that sounds really bad.

<br>

<br>

Cichlids so sometimes scratch themselves agianst the bottom in a controlled and ordered manner. Males display in front of females and opponents by shaking themselves slightly in front of them.

<br>

<br>

What you describe sounds like somehow either thier nervous system has been effected or the swim bladder had sustained damage.

<br>

<br>

Swim bladder damage: the fish will look like he is unable to sustain a level horizontal state with swimming. Is required that physical damage is inflicted and/or tumour/body structure forces pressure on the bladder distorting the shape of the bladder and makes the fish appear to be on its side.

<br>

<br>

Central Nervous system: Will appear to swim correctly for awhile then career wildly around. Most commonly this is due to physical damage but can also be due to reactions with certain chemicals.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: kevy73</STRONG><BR><BR>Bugger..... what you have described seems to be exactly what is happening.... the first blue I tried to rescue last night, when in the emergency tank, was swimming like his tail was full of air, if you can picture that... nose down, tail up swimming, once he had managed to keep himself upright......

<br>

<br>

The same sort of thing with the jewel....

<br>

<br>

They seem ok, then it is like someone has just bashed the side of the tank, they take off at a million miles an hour.... upside down, on their side...... it is all very distressing not only for then, but for me who feels amazingly responsible for these little creatures!

<br>

<br>

The only chemicals I have been using are prime and bicarb....

<br>

<br>

Thanks for your post Saudukar.

<p>

Regards,

<br>

<br>

Kevin</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Craig Douglas</STRONG><BR><BR>If you are only using Sydney tap water then your general hardness is also probably too low. You also need some other salts in the water the make it all happen, Epsom salts or calcium chloride at least. If you want a no trouble remedy have a look at the aqua sonic rift lake salts, good for a beginner, simple and cheap. This is not what I call professional product, but it will get you out of trouble while you are still learning.

<br>

Craig.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: citypainter</STRONG><BR><BR>Add some some shell grit to your tank at least 1/2 a cup every 2nd day and watch your ph slowly come up.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Craig Douglas</STRONG><BR><BR>Be careful with shell grit in small tanks, I've had a bad experience.

<br>

Craig.

Archived