Water circulation for frontosa

JamesF

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of putting a power head or wave maker into my 6x2 because I'm noticing a few dead spots where waste is collecting in the tank that I'm having to vacuum out regularly.

I currently have 10 kitumba fronts in with a few gold comps and calvus and want to know if they will have an issue with a stronger current running? Or is it beneficial for them? They are only 6-10cm.

I'm already running a 3 foot sump with a 700 litre per hour pump. But I'm thinking I need the additional circulation to clean up the water.

Thanks

700 l/h pump on that set up is I'd say is not enough.

The nitrogen conversion would be slow going.

I would recommend 2400 - 3000 l/h.

A additional 25watt power head would suffice.

Make sure the outlet on your aquarium can release the extra flow.

Don't forget the head height flow loss,,, as at 1.2 meters from sump to tank top would turn 700l/h into about 500 l/h.

Tangs appreciate higher oxygen levels.

Look at a 3000l/h large particle pondmax pond pump.

It looks huge,,,, but unscrew the outer shell and they are very compact and heavy.

Low and behold they are only 35 watts.

Just realised I'm actually using a Laguna 5000 on this tank. Does 5000l/hr. Still get a few dead spots where waste builds up. Would the extra flow from a wave maker be beneficial for the frontosa? In terms of making them swim around a bit more. The tend to be fairly docile and not move much, in general. Cheers

The 5000l/h should suffice for sure.

Shouldn't have dead spots with that flow.

The laguna are very low wattage units, so the head height would be weaker than most pumps.

But there should be well enough circulation.

If you have large rocks or obstacles then dead spots can form around these.

But a pump that big the issue of dead spots creating disease problems wouldn't exist,,,,, getting rid of the dead spots in this case is more to delete the vacuuming maintenance.

You could direct 2/3 of flow across the surface,,, and 1/3 towards dead spots or bottom.

Flow direction at one end of the tank shooting towards opposite end always gives a better even circulation.

Trial and error this with reticulation fittings.

Archived