Getting back into cichlids - Tang Tank

mickgibbo

I use to have an amateur attempt at breeding cichlids and after getting out of it for quite a few years ago, I want to set up a tank for the kids starting with juvenile fish.

I know I want to start off with a Tang tank with the primary fish being Alto. compressiceps gold or Alto. calvus black/white (or a mix of all of them but at this stage it may lead to me setting up a breeding colony of each species). I would be keen to hear what other tangs would work with these fish in a display tank.

Next question is, I loved my peppermint catfish and was wondering if I could have these fish in a display tank with the tangs or would the PH be too high for them to survive?

I live at Menai NSW and would like to hear of anyone that is breeding these fish locally. I know there use to be some very good breeders locally but Im out of touch with the current breeding situation.

Welcome back Mick

what size tank are you going to set up this will dictate your stocking

if you want to breed the Alto's then choose one species as they will inter breed

you are correct regarding the pH variation between Peps and Tangs but other people have lowered

the pH to 7.6-7.8 range and had both together .... find out what the water parameters are that they are in

and stage them with a drip line .... slow is the way with either species

there is no real need to run Tangs in the high 8's with tank bred fish IMO unless they won't breed

and if Alto's are old enough they will breed

I have 4 peppermint bristlenose catfish in my Tang tank. The Fronnies , gold comps, and petricola catfish generally ignore them. Weird because they tortured the albino bristlenose catfish that were in there. My ph is a rock solid 8 and all the fish are growing nicely. I do have black substrate and lots of hiding spots for them though.

Check out Petlink for breeders,they come up regularly.

Good luck

I'm going to keep a close eye on this as il be looking to be starting a tang tank also

And also be looking to get groups of fry to one day breed in the future or resell to buy younger ones not sure 100%

as far as pepps in a tang tank, ild say don't keep pepps with tangs!

You asking tells you that you know it's not the best water for them

As stocking the tank goes I like that you picked calvus as the main fish Q. Which colour

As above stated only one type would be best

Then this is my guid

Ether occi or Multies group of 5

Synodontis Petricola group 5

Demasoni group 5

Lelupe group 3

Brichardi x 1

Julidochromis x 2

Cyprichromis x 5

And finally a group of sand sifters anyone of these

Callochromis, Enatiopus, and Xenotilapia group of 5

Good luck keep us updated

First off sorry for the lack of replies. I had the notification set up but it must have been going to my spam.

Thanks for the valuable feedback Link2Hell that has sold me on the fish side of things hopefully I can fiond a happy medium. Im looking at a 4foot tank at this stage. I already have coral media so that will probably be the basis of the tank.

Pharmlou Thankyou its good to hear this combination can take place.

Foti I will definitely keep the page in the loop.

If you're not interested in breeding, then you can keep calvus and gold comps together.

In a 4ft standard tank i reckon you should only have one other type of fish, like leleupi, for colour.

If you've got a 4x18 or bigger then go for up to 3 or 4 fish types - a shellie type (multies, caudos, similis, occies, hecqui), rock dweller (Julie, leleupi) and an open water swimmer (xeno's, cyps - although I haven't had much success with cyps in community tanks, they just seem to waste away). I've seen tanks where people have added bosemani rainbows to fill the upper water column with their tangs. You could possibly go for 6 duboisi, but not other tropheus. They certainly go alright with calvus and shellies, but you have to have them on an NLS diet.

If you're not interested in breeding, then you can keep calvus and gold comps together.

In a 4ft standard tank i reckon you should only have one other type of fish, like leleupi, for colour.

If you've got a 4x18 or bigger then go for up to 3 or 4 fish types - a shellie type (multies, caudos, similis, occies, hecqui), rock dweller (Julie, leleupi) and an open water swimmer (xeno's, cyps - although I haven't had much success with cyps in community tanks, they just seem to waste away). I've seen tanks where people have added bosemani rainbows to fill the upper water column with their tangs. You could possibly go for 6 duboisi, but not other tropheus. They certainly go alright with calvus and shellies, but you have to have them on an NLS diet.

Great information and thanks to all that have replied.

Archived