75 gallon Stocking - for newbie

Au55ieBum

Hi all, I have just purchased a Aqua One AR 120 (123 x 66 x 46cm) 285L and was after some general advice. This is going to be my first cichlid tank, previously I've only have tropical fish.

I'm after some stocking advice, should I go all males or mixed? I like smaller colourful fish, can you provide some suggestions? Is it possible to have a bunch of smaller colourful fish and a few larger ones?

J1al7xY.jpg

Hey mate, welcome to ace.

I would suggest you go with the bread and butter african cichlids and all males.

Electric Yellows, Acei, Blue Dolphins, Venustus, Afra Cobue etc. Venustus can get very big, so keep that in mind. Peacocks bring a lot of color as well so do a bit of googling about them.

Start with 5-6, and gradually add new ones every month.

Mixing big fishes with small ones does not work well, unless you know the fish well and plan accordingly.

If it was my tank I would do what I did before. Find several breeders of Pseudotropheus saulosi and build a colony. The colours and interaction of these fish was amazing. Both female and males are nice colours and eventually you would get some nice fry.

water parameters are above 7.4 at the moment, my test kit only has upto 7.4 on the side and it is darker blue than that.

From what I have read online Gold Coast water is around 7.7 - 7.9

Archived