anyone still breeding msobo ? not many around

LithoMan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No-one I knows reeds them anymore. I havent seen any for sale or heard of any for sale for at least 6 months

Send VIS a PM he was looking to develop a large colony in a 8 foot tank so he may have sourced some quality fish.

There are some available on on Gumtree from time to time but I don't know what the quality is like.

Mine always were solid, LouieO until they got to around 4cm's and boys started to color

Thanks Josh. Only asking because I do remember the fry never has the slightest bit of barring and the ones advertised on Gumtree had very faint bars.

I am still unsuccessfully trying to bed them. They are hard to breed because they take ages to get to size and then they get one or two mouthfuls a year if they have a tank to themselves. The fry should be solid orange until the first male appears then they will start going mottled with a dark dorsal fin. I haven't had a mouthful in twelve months however :(.

Cheers

Rosco

Mine have just reached 5-6cm,, and just starting to breed now.

My previous colony stopped at 9-10cm and they fattened right up.

I tried everything when the stopped,,, under feeding, feeding more, water changes, water level drop with splashing and just couldn't get a egg tube welt.

I do notice when young the males work at a constant overtime for dressing, display, courting.

Maybe they're just genetically wired to make the most of it when young.

As I've heard similar stories repetetively.

Could we get some photos up guys?? None around in VIC that I know of. I have three large definite females and a suspect male that came from a display environment from a friend. So not keen to use that fish as I don't know exactly what it is. It's not fully coloured like a male msobo. I would definitely like to get some fry to start a colony myself.

Once mine get a bit more consistent with spawns, I'll collect about 15-20.

If you don't find before hand I can send you some pics on iPhone once I got a few together, if you like them I'll ship them to you.

You know how much of a computer noob I am,, pics on forums, hee hee.

I bought them as Magunga, from a fairly reputable breeder in Perth.

I've stripped 2x so far with, one lot of four and the other of six.

I scrapped them,,,, so once multiple females are holding I'll start the collection.

They breed low numbers at the beginning for a while.

Mine did the same once they got around 7/8 cm they just stop i manage to get a couple of mouth full around 40

I have started another colony and hope to get them breeding soon as they are getting to size

How is the male i gave you Edwin?

How many males do you guys have in your colonies?

Back when I was breeding them, I found one male got pretty lazy and instead of spawning just swam around looking pretty, two males fought amongst themselves too much to do much spawning, three males seemed to be the magic number. If they eased off I'd swap around the males and it was " hello ladies" :wub

My colony was about 20 fish, usually 3 males and the rest females alone in a 5 footer, in the 2 or so years I had them I produced between 120-150 fry.

Hi Skippy

I got some frys from you. And they were outstanding fish.

The 3 males and rest females was what worked for me as well.

Louie

Went to take a few pics of the msobo yesterday,,,,, all the males had fully colored up with the black increased to full vividness.

I'm so annoyed as they are bloody P.johanni with the horizontal and vertical blushing bars.

I bought them at 2cm and put them in a bottom shelf level tank, with out paying much attention, as I don't till the fish are bigger with a more manageable working size and definite identification in general, being I take care of so many species.

They started breeding at a super small size.

Given up my old msobo colony in to much haste, now I'm left looking to.

I talked to early, lol.

Definetely would have sent you the pics Ged, to show here.

Any chance they are heteropictus and not magunga? We did have both types here at one stage and then for some reason we now just have Msobo?

Mine are magunga and I only have healthy 3 girls 2 that will soon join the lake in the sky and a few boys. They will all go into my display tank in the house on the weekend as I have to start shutting down my last rack to reorganize that room. There are a few fry at capital aquatics in Mitchell act that a local breeder took there a few months ago but that is it for canberra I suspect given very few people down here know what they even are. ;).

Any chance they are heteropictus and not magunga? We did have both types here at one stage and then for some reason we now just have Msobo?

No mate, just straight out P.johanni.

I use to have two separate tanks side by side,,, one with msobo and one with johanni.

P.johanni also vary from bloodline to bloodline, especially males,, number of bars and distance between,,,, but like I've just observed and every other time I've kept P.johanni,, is the horizontal lateral black bar intersecting with the verticals,,, stunning yeah, but not msobo lol.

Amazing how over the course of a week, they all switch on for color.

I've contacted the breeder to see if he was breeding P.johanni also and maybe got mixed up or if he didn't have P.johanni then it's wrongly identified.

Just waiting for him to get back to me.

A funny story how I got my original Msobo colony years ago,,,, was I bought one single large mature female for my display that had been freshly traded in to Malaga aquariums. (supposedly retired from a breeding colony).

I actually thought it may have been on the red whitecrane G.

I got home and in the bucket was roughly twenty little fry,,, she had spat.

It all started from there for my msobo.

Here in sydney

A big batch was floating around that was getting sold as msobo

But same thing had barring and so on

100% cross breed

So I am sure a lot will be like that

I saw one colony over 20+ so if they pumped them out we will have many around :(

Same thing happened with Pseudotropheus saulosi in Perth,,, in Sydney to I believe.

But as someone already said, female must be bright orange and clearly no visible light markings, just pure orange,, for magunga anyway.

Hopefully zigzag and others can circulate them again.

Archived