New member with 6x2x2 Mbuna.

Staplez

Hi all.

I had a standard 4ft run of the mill tropical setup around 6 years ago myself, so the learning curve has been amazing but not impossible.

Little background on the tank. 6+ year old setup, father in-law was the owner that had some srs issues over the last 2 years that lead to him passing away.

Over the last 5 weeks I've worked hard to bring it back to a normal standard - I tested weeks ago and got results of 6ph, next to 0 GH and KH. Didn't even test NH's, NO2 and NO3. Water was very very dirty that you couldn't see into the tank...

As it stands right now - 8ph, 13dKH, 13dGH, 0 NH's, 0 NO2 and sub 50mg NO3.

2x 300w heaters, 2x 1200l/hr canister filters and 2x SR9500 airs running low. Just purchased 5kg Baking Soda, 5kg Epsom Salts, 2kg Calcium Carbonate and 1kg of Marine salts.

Sump under tank not in use. Purchased 4500l/hr powerhead, Octopus overflow box ob-300S and a small 200l/hr internal filter with venture for close vacuum of the overflow siphon.

Stocking so far that I've been able to get my head around and ID.

2x Synodontis Nigrita

1x Synodontis Multipunctatus

4x unknown Synodontis

3x Apple Snails

Unknown numbers...

Labidochromis caeruleus

Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba"

and a few that I'm working on..

Still yet to ID the hybrids that need death.

Potato quality pics

9XyjPy1.jpgogQbznd.jpgXkEX0Ou.jpgaBm5lUC.jpg4FeZaA3.jpg

Bonus video uploaded today of feeding time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjNYkOku2s

Reason behind the hybrid that I really don't want is because of the current law that effects imports of fish stocks and to keep the stock viable based on geo. orgins.

The catfish are the reason for population control, yet some fry 2 - 3 a year are living on and growing in size very fast with the 30% water changers each week over the last 4 weeks.

I plan to contact a supplier in NSW with a limited stock of a current Mbuna in Australia to begin the process of raising and keeping alive something that may be lost in future years.

• 4 months later...

Archived