Feeding

Ged

</DIV><H1>Overeating (not over feeding)</H1><DIV id=Ptextbox>« Prev Page | <a href='topicID=100.topic_21.html'>Next Page »</a></DIV><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: McMoridin</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi all,

<br>

My Aulonocara Heuseri just eats to much. I definetly don't overfeed my fish. If I only put a small ammount of food in he eats all of it real fast and if I put more food in so the others might have a chance to get some he gets to eat even more of it. He's really starting to get too fat. Has anyone got any ideas except separating them when I feed them because that would be too stressful to isolate him 3 times a day.

<br>

<br>

Thanks

<br>

Josh

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Josh

<br>

<br>

You?re over feeding them. Cut it back to 1 feed per day, 6 days per week.

<br>

<br>

Feed them enough for them to eat it ALL in 10 minutes. There will be so much food in the tank at the first hit that the guts won't be able to eat it all and the others will get some.

<br>

<br>

Also by reducing the amounts of feedings per day the more shy fish will become more eager

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Nik19</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Josh

<br>

<br>

I've noiced something similar with mine, i usually feed him some fresh vegies , and what i do is put a few small pieces in the tank first( which will sink) he usually goes for those first, and as he swims after the vegies bits i put some pellets and more vegies in for my e. yellow and maleri gold, which gives them a chance to eat it lol

<br>

<br>

Hope this helps

<br>

Nik

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: McMoridin</STRONG><BR><BR>I will try your method cichlids_au but I'm quite sure that I dont overfeed them. I might be new to this forum but I'm not new to cichlid keeping. Your saying feed them once a day what they can eat in ten mins, I feed my fish 3 times a day what they can each eat in about 10 seconds since they really woof into it. I feed them a variety of peas, hikari biogold colour enhacing pelets, OSI vivid colour flakes, OSI spirulina pelets, wardley spirulina flakes and wardley premium pelets and once every 1 or 2 weeks I give them some prawns.

<br>

Thanks

<br>

Josh

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BengaBoy</STRONG><BR><BR>if the strategy isnt working change it......

<br>

and yours isnt working

<br>

<br>

i agree with cichlids_au

<br>

<br>

your way of a 10seconds feed time doesnt give the other fish a chance

<br>

feed them once a day what they can eat, in say x minutes (experiment with x).

<br>

there will be so much food in the tank at once everyone will get a go. I do this with my Tropheus and the 1cm fry get plenty to eating even competing with the adults.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: McMoridin</STRONG><BR><BR>Fair enough,

<br>

I'll give it a go , but there is still WAY more people who believe it is better to feed fish smaller ammounts more times a day tham people who like to feed their fish once a day. As some people say - we (humans) wouldn't want to eat one big meal a day, it's less healthy, so why should our fish.

<br>

<br>

Thanks again anyway

<br>

Josh

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>Fish in the Lake would be lucky to get 1 feed per day and that wouldn't be a very good one.

<br>

<br>

The fish we keep are all over fed, that?s why people have such a problem identifying them with pictures from the wild.

<br>

<br>

I have 30 species breed to date, several of which are new in the country. You have a problem with a greedy-guts of a fish. It's your choice.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: McMoridin</STRONG><BR><BR>I am going to try your method!!!!

<br>

<br>

Sorry but i can't help but disagree with your analogy of the eating patterns of cichlids in the lake - Fish in the lake graze all day long, its just that they don't get much food and thats why they tend to eat a lot even when they're full and is another reason why its "probably" better to feed more small feedings rather than one large feeding, because its closer to what their natural eating pattern would be like in the wild. Now of course I realise that this wont work in my little situation and also realise that your method would be good for me to try at the moment so I am going to experiment with feeding one large meal a day.

<br>

<br>

Thanks again

<br>

Josh

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Auscanuckafishy</STRONG><BR><BR>I still like to feed my fish as many times during the day as I can, but when there is a greedy guts in a tank, dumping a whole lot in at once works because they can all grab some before the greedy one does. My big tanks only get one feed, but the smaller ones get a few, it depends on who's in the tank, and how chubby they like to get. I don't let them eat for ten minutes (unless it's vegies) but it's up to personal preference.

<br>

Another thing that works well is to feed smaller sized foods, flakes are nearly always shared around because they're a bugger to get a hold of for the fish and they just spread out everywhere. Also if you feed 20 tiny pellets, as opposed to 5 big ones, then that gives the other fish a chance to grab something while the greedy one is trying to woof them all down. If you just put the 5 bigguns in, he might get them all in his gob before the others have a chance.

<br>

You have to balance it though, i've found that the smaller sized food you feed, the fatter your small fish get, and the skinnier your big fish get, so it's a bit of a balancing act, and of course bigger pellets and such are impossible for small fish to eat. Also some big fish ignore small foods.

<br>

HTH

<br>

<br>

Mark

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: SouthCoastGold</STRONG><BR><BR>Ta man

<br>

As I said, I will give it a go.

<br>

<br>

Thanks

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: plecosam26</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

<br>

I agree feeding your fish once a day what they will eat in ten minutes has to be worse than feeding 3 times but in ten seconds. I feed my fish one feed which they can eat in around 30 seconds in the morning and then they might get a small feed another once or twice the same day.

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

<br>

Sam.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: cichomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>I used to feed 2-3 times a day and found it was a lot easier to over feed and foul up the water , one feed a day keeps the tank looking a lot cleaner and as Cichlids Au said , the shy fish soon learn that they have to come out to eat or miss out .

<br>

<br>

Luke

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: SouthCoastGold</STRONG><BR><BR>I find that if i do 1 big feeding, more food goes to the bottom because the fish don't get time to eat it. When I feed them less on the other hand, less food piles up on the bottom because they actually get to eat it before it reaches the bottom. My fish seem to be snobs in that they don't eat the food after it's on the bottom, only when its floating in the water.

<br>

Josh

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: raycam01</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Guy's,

<br>

Would totally agree with Mark on this one, I feed my fish once in the morning and thats it, the fish in the lake do graze all day as it was put, but they dont get the high protein kick thats in the food we feed em, have alook at the backs of the little tins u feed em,,,,,,,, Go back to 1 good feed a day, it makes your fish more active when it is feeding time, they soon learn to come out of the nooks and crannies, in search of the meal, rather than knowing its going to be dumped in 3-4 times a day. I often have people say to me is that all your going to feed em. There funny little buggers

they will look at ya with them big eyes, wanting alittle more and you'll do it, DONT lolol

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>hey,

<br>

how bout if your fish is afraid to go to the surface and eat?

<br>

Any comments!!

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>run the food down a plastic tube, so they can't get it till it comes out the end near the substrate.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: SouthCoastGold</STRONG><BR><BR>Now that sounds like something I can try.

<br>

<br>

Thanks

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Dawson</STRONG><BR><BR>Its not much related, but I've just stumbled onto a great way of feeding my (slow) clown loaches in my Malawi tank.

<br>

<br>

What I do is float a little plastic baby-holder (the ones you'd buy in a basic pet shop) in the top corner, and then just pour in the defrosted blood worms. They soon settle on the bottom of the feeder, and the clowns come up to the underside of the feeder, turn upside down, and procede to suck the worms through the small slits in the bottom.

<br>

<br>

No other fish in the tank have figured out how to do this, and its better for my clowns because rather than just the one or two big ones getting a feed out of the pipe, all the loaches get a decent feed.

<br>

<br>

Just a thought.

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

<br>

Dawson

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hyperdive</STRONG><BR><BR>Yeah just make sure you don't keep those loaches in the same tank as your fry. I lost a large number of eureka red fry because the loaches figured out they could suck them through the grid while the fry slept.

<br>

Archived