Returning beginner - LFS or Breeders?

Questor

Hey guys,

Not long moved to Melbourne from NZ, and now in a place where I can get a tank set up again. Back when I was around 18 in the UK I kept some American cichlids in a 3ft tank and got on fairly well. I'm now 36 so I've not had fish for a while. While I know the real dos and donts thanks to various forums, I'm not up on the new technologies (external filtration for example wasn't really a thing when I kept fish previously).

Is my best bet to go chat to a LFS to determine what I'm after re: tanks? Also when I come to getting fish, considering I'm really after Malawis, and the 'easiER' ones (emphasis added on purpose) at that, is it better to try and find a local breeder as opposed to getting fish through the LFS?

I know this question is probably asked a million times, but I couldn't find an obvious search function!

Cheers

Jon

Your best bet would be to find out what size tank you can get to suit your home and then decide what fish you can get to suit that tank.

There is a breeders register on the forums below the Classifieds section, take a look at both these places and that may help you find some local breeders. Or once you know which fish you like, you can place a wanted add in the classified section.

The search feature is in the top right hand corner of the website. If you are using a mobile device, there is a menu in the top right of your screen, the search feature is in that menu.

LFS or breeder might depend on 1) what you want to do and 2) how good a relationship with a LFS you can build while buying the hardware.

Personally I would use a LFS more often for buying odds and ends for a display tank. The thing about LFS is it will have a range of species at appropriate sizes so you can go buy a bunch of stuff that should get one right away. It also means a LFS gets business and continues to stock those species - which the hobby needs.
Most breeders probably wont want to make the effort to move a couple of fish. If you find a breeder with 5 species you want 2 of each of, that is different. It's nothing personal but to make time to sell someone 2 electric yellows is just a very big ask.
It is great to track down local, reputable breeders to source hard to find species (which you probably wont want just yet) or to source large groups of fish to start building a breeding group. In this case dealing with breeders directly allows you to try to source good quality stock that is not (or is less) related.

(I guess it also depends how good the LFS is - if you want them having your custom...)

Archived