Exochochromis Anagenys

malawi sand diver

Thanks!!!, yeah it is a mission to catch them sometimes and I have made a 2x2 egg crate divider which saves hours of time. Now time for some update shots.

The male is starting to get a bit more blue, but still has a bit to go before he gets the bright blue head and orange fins. They still have a lot of growing to do and I predict they will hit the 1 foot size at the rate they are growing.

The easiest way to tell the male from the females at this size is at the back of the dorsal, in the photos at the last part of the dorsal you can see spangled pale blue spots appearing which look pretty cool.

There are also some shots of the fry which are very large when their egg sack is fully absorbed. Their 3 spots are quite prominent from early on.

030.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

012.JPG

Regards, Rob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate. The fry are growing quite quick, I have a dozen now @2cm. My plan is to populate them back into the big tank and get a colony together, and I will wait and see what the male/female ratio is like. I will keep you posted once I have some.

I thought they were going to spawn again the other day and I seperated the pair off like I did last time, but the female was dominating the male when they were sectioned off. So I took the section away and the minute I did, the male was back in charge again, I'm obviously not a professor of fish psychology.

So they didn't spawn that time, reason being I think the first time they spawned I really fed the female heaps of fry. I reckon the female would have eaten hundreds of 2-3cm melanochromis interrupus fry before she spawned. I am going to start getting her into condition again and they will spawn soon after I think. The fry once egg sack is absorbed are really big and they stay a lot bigger compared with other fry of the same age such as phenochilus & red empress.

• 1 month later...

Archived