Saulosi males going undercover?

luis

Years ago I started with a big group of saulosi with the intention of reaching 1m/4f, which I did. That is until one of those 4f matured and turned out to be a male as well and I had to go down to 1m/3f.

Here is the largest female, she's older than the dominant male and about the same size now. Is it normal for a dominant female to have a bit of blue showing?

P1090102.jpg

Or even black bars and edging on fins when she gets a bit more stressed.

P1090074.jpg

On the one hand I'm thinking it could be a male in disguise but on the other hand things are quite peaceful, nothing like when I had the other male start to mature and all hell break loose.

For comparison here is one of my other females who is always just yellow.

P1090072.jpg

Thoughts?

Has happened to mine before, one female made the full transition to a pale blue with dark barring, like a male but with less intense colours.

I agree, I have had dominant female mbuna including saulosi show a paler imitation of male colouring and even become territorial.

If you want to make sure Luis, turn her upside down and vent sex her. At that size the vent behind her anus should be obviously bigger than the one on the male.

Cheers, Doug

My current breeding colony of Saulosi is 6 male 15 female. There is a dominant male and if you turn the light on at night the other males are fully coloured up when sleeping, about a month ago one of the females looks just like your first pic. Blueish tinge, darker dorsal and egg spot. But at a glance blends in with all the other bright yellow females.

Thanks for the feedback all. Looks like the consensus is it's just a dominant female. I guess someone always has to be next in the pecking order! :)

I have thought of vent sexing but I am loathe to take out all the rocks and stress the fish just so I can know for sure. I've even tried to sneak a peek when they're hanging around waiting to be fed but that hasn't worked out so well yet.

You are probably right.. Normally I wouldn't care but my dominant male saulosi is rarely all coloured up so I was wondering if it had anything to do with this fish.. But then again he is a bit of a wuss, always first to go into hiding and last to come out.

The profile pic is my cobue male, he's awesome and always looking good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Josh: they have bred before but quite a while ago, before I removed the previous dominant male. This one has matured but doesn't seem to get any traction with the ladies.

The 3rd pic is the fish that I originally made this post about.

@maxib: ha ha, yes. Maybe I should've put a warning at the top of the post. ;)

Archived