Diagnose sick fish

Fisheggs

Hi all,

A week ago I bought this little fella - Aul. Memelela [wild caught] (I think, correct me if i'm mistaken - still new to the cichlid world).

I made a huge mistake purchasing him when he wasn't looking too well, which I deeply regret and unfortunately I don't have a QT tank to monitor the fish in and now i'm deeply concerned with the behavior in the tank.

After I've transferred it (not sure of the gender) into my tank, it was only then I noticed under the lights that it looked much worst. The local fish store had dim lighting so I couldn't see it clearly.

It's breathing quite heavily and from time to time it would burst into erratic movements then stay still.

I have uploaded a short video for reference and really want to know what the issue is and what I should do.

I'm worried that it'll spread onto my other fish and completely shuts down my tank.

It starts moving erratically @ 0:15

Water Quality: Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are 0ppm.

Water Parameters:

• PH: 8.2
  • Temp: 27
  • GH: ~14 dkh
  • KH: ~7 dkh

Any help will be appreciated~ Thanks.

Its hard to tell. Your water is all good, his fins are not clamped up. I assume there is nothing visible on the body, no white spots or anything?

It looks like its getting bullied a little as he doesn't have anywhere he can retreat to.

Normally for heavy breathing, I'd start at giving it a salt treatment for a few days in a little tank.

Doesn't look like much is wrong besides being stressed.

Though it could be in the beginning of waisting (internal Protozoa parasites), nearly uncureable.

Can happen with wild caughts going into aquariums or straight out imports from Germany.

Importer or shop are Definetely not to blame for such occurrence.

If your tank is cycled and matured adequately, why is your nitrate zero ???

There should be some reading of nitrate which indicates your biological parts of your filters doing the job,

I've attached a close up picture. Maybe it'll help identify the problem. I can see that the tail has been damaged, and I'm not sure if it's fin rot or he was bullied by the Lwanda.

I have noticed black spots and I've checked a few posts regarding black spots, but it doesn't seem to be severe or life threatening?

KDvwgMD.jpg

Doesn't look like much is wrong besides being stressed.
Though it could be in the beginning of waisting (internal Protozoa parasites), nearly uncureable.
Can happen with wild caughts going into aquariums or straight out imports from Germany.
Importer or shop are Definetely not to blame for such occurrence.

If your tank is cycled and matured adequately, why is your nitrate zero ???
There should be some reading of nitrate which indicates your biological parts of your filters doing the job,

I've asked myself that many times and was anxious about the fact that my nitrate has always remained 0 - Then again I did use my LFS filter sponge and some medication to help accelerate the cycle process.

I cycled my tank for a good month - 3 weeks of it being fishless and then a week with just an adult peacock.

The tank is 3 month old now and have not had any death which is great, but seeing as how this little guy is going, it may be my first.

This is my current water parameters that I've just tested - Last water changed - Friday 02/10/2015.

Water Test as of 04/10/15

iGy8Mht.jpg

I do Tuesday and Friday water changes 25% and have13 fishes in total that are 4-7 cm.

• 450L Tank
  • 4 Electric Yellows
  • Aul Lwanda
  • Aul Hansbaenchi
  • 2 Malawi BLue Dolphins
  • 2 Dragon Blood
  • Aul Benga
  • Flametail
  • Aul Baenschi

is he eating ?

I think he is just stressed and trying to find somewhere to keep

out of the way of everyone

water parameters are good but being a WC they can be touchy

to settle in some times especially if they haven't travelled well

Thanks everyone, it'll keep my mind at ease, as I thought it may have been some serious parasite that could've shut down my tank.

Just concerned with his body movement twitching weirdly that's all.

is he eating ?

I think he is just stressed and trying to find somewhere to keep

out of the way of everyone

water parameters are good but being a WC they can be touchy

to settle in some times especially if they haven't travelled well

Yes, he's eating. He gets bullied by the Lwanda, but the tank is decent size and I have a few rocks in the tank for it to hide, but it doesn't, it stays out in plain sight and just sits there, and just seems like he's asking for it.

I might need to buy a small tank and relocate him if that's the case, although it'll be a challenge to get him out :unsure

Thanks again everyone :)

Just out of interest have you spoken the shop you bought it from ?

That's something i'm planning on doing this weekend. It seems to be eating well, and would come up to the top during feeding time.

Archived