Making your own rocks

Mitch23

hey guys

anyone ever made there ownr rocks for a cichlid setup?

i have seen a lot of videos where they make live rock for marine setups but i want to try and do some sort of good mix for cichlids. maybe some crushed coral (white, 2-3 inch peices) with some sort of white cement

and then mix up the mixture and lay it in a bed of fine coral sand or something similar. id try and make lots of caves/holes in it aswell.

anyone else tried anything like this?

thanks

Mitch

hey guys

anyone ever made there ownr rocks for a cichlid setup?

i have seen a lot of videos where they make live rock for marine setups but i want to try and do some sort of good mix for cichlids. maybe some crushed coral (white, 2-3 inch peices) with some sort of white cement

and then mix up the mixture and lay it in a bed of fine coral sand or something similar. id try and make lots of caves/holes in it aswell.

anyone else tried anything like this?

thanks

Mitch

Hi Mitch I did and found I had problems with pH going off the charts 11.0 ph even after washed for a week and several water changes but it could of been the cement ratio, or the type of cement I was using. I guess you never know until you try I copied a guy off youtube.

Personally i wouldnt, beacuse it may leach unwanted things into your tank.

I reckon the best substitute for fake rocks is real rocks. you can buy them from lfs's if you need or just go hunting.

*Whisper* Ive found at the edges of big drainage pipes there will often be big blackish rocks, and certain road works.... hehehe :B:lol3:

Archived