shell dwellers with mbunas

Ive just started a small elec yellow tank. Ive used a fine dark substrate, heaps of texas holey rock and have 4 small elec yellows. I think ive got one male and three females (the big one has solid black top and bottom and the three smaller ones have no black at all). Today while visiting my lfs to buy another bag of gravel to start my angelfish/bristlenose tank, I noticed for the first time ever he had a tank full of multis! He offered me 6 of them for 50 bucks. They are all 2cm+!! Will they go in peacefully with my elec yellows or should I give up on my angel fish tank and get a tank full of shell dwellers? Ive always been intrigued by these little fellas and dont wanna miss an opportunity to get some as I never see them for sale locally.

I personally would grab a bag of sand some shells and grab the multis instead of Angels but I love multies. angels don't do much for me personally and you could put bn in with your yellows. Multis are one of the few species I am keeping in my massive Fishroom cut back.

Btw your description of those yellow "male" describes my half the females i have owned over the years. The onl y I have confirmed the sex of yellows over the years is when they had a mouthful. If you do feed pellets sometimes you can tell if their buccal cavity expands so it looks like they have a mouthful.

Multies will dig what ever you put in the bottom of the tank. The yellows will pick off the multie fry, but some may survive. Multies are an awesome fish. I have always had a tank full in my fish room. They would be one of the Most interesting fish I have ever kept. I got my last group from Neil, down at Kiama. I paid $120 for 37 of them. You won't see them around much down here not many shops stock them.

Archived