What to do with fry?

mitch2052

Hi
I need some advice please, is it Ok to offer free fry on the forum? I have some Metriaclima Greshakei Cichlid Fry that I need to rehome. I have a tank with six males and a single female that I have had since birth, my female has started to breed and I do not want to keep the fry. At the moment I have 6 fry about 4cm and about 20 fry about 2cm. I have listed the 4 cm fry for sale on the forum and had no interest, my location may also make it hard fro me to sell my fry. I appreciate any ideas.
Cheers Susan

It's certainly ok to offer things for free through the classifieds.
Unfortunately I think your location is still going to be the biggest barrier.
If you are currently 'saving' the fry and raising them, I'd consider stopping. If you let the female spit in the main tank, less should survive, and it might be easier.
I know that seems harsh, but it's a possibility.

You could also consider rehoming 5 of the original boys - any local shop is more likely to buy larger and more colourful fish.
Then seeing if the larger group grow in to a more balanced colony (keep moving more and more boys)
It wont help reduce fry numbers but might mean females dont get hassled so much if you leave her in the main tank.

Thank you Ducksta, As much as I don't like to see the fry eaten it may be the answer. The harmony in the tank is good, the female does not get harassed by the other males, boss fish sees to that. I also like the colour of the males, so if it becomes too much of a problem I would think of rehoming the female.

Cheers Susan

im_jezza I would like them rehomed as soon as possible. If you can give me a time when you can take them that would be fine. If not I will post them in the classified for anyone else who is interested.

I'd suggest what Duck suggests..let them spit in the tank. Fish eat other fish. If you decide you want to breed and sell a few (if you dont see them around often for example) then just grab a spawn or 2.

You'll find that even doing this a couple will survive in your tank. These could be the ones you give away or sell while thinning your tank.

Archived