partition raise in sump

simy696

just a quick one probably an easy solve but I cant think of one at present.

how do I raise my sump partitions so muck don't get too sump pump area when I get my water levels wrong.

had an issue tonight when adding new fish and there water, this raised water level enough for the muck to float across partitions.

obviously its running and don't want to silicone a new piece of glass in.

Wouldn't you remove the unneeded water to maintain required water level ???

If water evaporates your sump level drops,,, it's your sump that has the variable level not the tank.

Otherwise get glass strips cut up at glass mob (would be very cheap) and glue in with a type of underwater application silicone which is Definetely on the market, I just forgot its actual name.

tys don't think I mentioned my tank level being wrong obviously when I notice the issue I removed the water but a little late on this occasion as sump is hidden away underneath in cubburd to busy watching my new fish to realize.

try removing or shuffling some media around to allow better water flow so it doesnt raise the height too much.its like adding rocks to a tank the water level will raise maybe try finer material

You need to add a finer media or a prefilter to catch the muck before it gets to/through sump.

Maybe add a picture so we can see how it is set up.

You add the water from new fishes bags to your tank?

That's a bad idea as I understand it.

The correct method is to pore the water from the bag though a fish net in to a bucket and then place the fish in the tank.

You add the water from new fishes bags to your tank?

That's a bad idea as I understand it.

The correct method is to pore the water from the bag though a fish net in to a bucket and then place the fish in the tank.

A better method is to put the fish and the bag water in a small bucket and use a piece of airline tubing to slowly add your tank water to the bucket, allowing the fish to gradually acclimatise to your water. Then use a net to add the fish to your tank and tip out the water in the bucket.

Cheers, Doug

Wouldn't you remove the unneeded water to maintain required water level ???

If water evaporates your sump level drops,,, it's your sump that has the variable level not the tank.

Otherwise get glass strips cut up at glass mob (would be very cheap) and glue in with a type of underwater application silicone which is Definetely on the market, I just forgot its actual name.

This is the stuff that seals underwater and is fish safe. The link is for the importer/distributor, if you google it you can find stockists, I got some from one of the QLDAF sponsors :

http://www.huntsupplies.com.au/goldlabelsealer.html

I have been told Paul at Morley Aquarium swears by it for repairing leaky tanks without emptying them, and even used it to repair a leaky roof during a storm.

Cheers, Doug

tys for putting me right with adding fish but i was told to slowly add them and fish so water mixing by lfs. you guys put me right but didn't tell me why you shouldn't add the water to the tank.

A better method is to put the fish and the bag water in a small bucket and use a piece of airline tubing to slowly add your tank water to the bucket, allowing the fish to gradually acclimatise to your water. Then use a net to add the fish to your tank and tip out the water in the bucket.

You are correct, I forgot to mention the the dripping of the water from the main tank over a 15 to 60 mins time frame depending on how differenet your water is to the water in the bag.

The last lot of fish got had a low PH, so I was taking 30 mins to acclimatise the fish.

I've not tried to net the fish out as the bags are always to small, more likely to damge the fish.

Cheers, Mike

tys for putting me right with adding fish but i was told to slowly add them and fish so water mixing by lfs. you guys put me right but didn't tell me why you shouldn't add the water to the tank.

As I understand it, its about the water condition.

Depending on how long the fish are in the water your going to have a build up of NH3, NO2 and NO3. It may also have low O2. It may well have pathogen you do not want to add to your tank. (less of any issue simple because the fish will have them in there body and on there skin)

Technically we all should have a quarantine tank and leave new fish for a week or two in this before doing the same process in main tank/s.

ahh tys ill no next time but back to original prob think ive solved it used some left over poret foam cut a groove in it and slid it over the glass partition raise my height 100mm and water can still pass threw it when i doo water changes. all goes back to damn sump maker not making partitions higher enough i reckon.

The reason I NEVER put other peoples water in my tank is solely because of snails...hate those buggers. Other than cross contamination there is not really a reason why you shouldn't.

IMO its a good practice not to though.

As far as your sump issue is concerned....if you have a poorly designed sump then I cant really see any other way other than changing the design slightly to remedy it properly or just be mindful of the issue in future.

Archived