Heavy Breathing after Initially holding Eggs

mjoconr

Hi All

I have a Aulonocara sp. ‘Dragon’s Blood’ which is young but was holding eggs. At the time I saw it mating I was concerned because after a while it gills became very extended.

Now (about 24 hours) its sitting behind a rock breathing hard and does not seem to be holding eggs.

Video below any ideas ? Maybe she is still holding, I'm very new to the Cichlid hobby.

Thanks

That's all good mate,,, they may take a fair few trials to get it right.

Don't forget the female gets stressed after a breeding session.

Just let things run their course and eventually they'll get it right and hold.

Well I found this fish dead in the tank this morning. I can only assume that the process of holding egg damaged it in someway.

The gills where really over extended when it was holding.

Sorry to hear you lost your Aulonocara female there mate. Its hard to say what went wrong without seeing in person. For future reference make sure your females are mature and really well conditioned, fat gals make good mums. Put in heaps more hiding spots than what you think you need, its a pain to clean or catch fish I know but helps, I only see my females at feeding time. If she doesnt look good and is holding, strip the eggs, either bubble them or feed them to something. (no doubt you will get more next week) and again condition your breeders beforehand, treat for parasites if need be too

Archived