and i run my fluval fx5 same deal

i think there isnt much difference if at all

they both do the same thing

meh the fluval works fine for me ive run a fluval 304 no problems

no water problems always clear

and i run my fluval fx5 same deal

i think there isnt much difference if at all

they both do the same thing

Horses for courses :) - we ran a number of both brands on 33 tanks for over a ten year period and the Eheim outshone the Fluval on all counts . We still run a couple of Eheims still but now with over 67 tanks the canisters had to GO :lol3::lol3:

Horses for courses :) - we ran a number of both brands on 33 tanks for over a ten year period and the Eheim outshone the Fluval on all counts . We still run a couple of Eheims still but now with over 67 tanks the canisters had to GO :lol3::lol3:

Any left (going cheap or at least affordable)?

Cheers,

I have also ran both brands of canisters.

Yes, they both do the same thing, but the Eheims for me have done the same thing for much longer with far less problems.

Of course this is my opinion and experience but for me Eheim comes out on top.

Jamie.

Eheims no question.

Fluval is my second choice for filters.

I have an old eheim 2260 which I bought second hand. On the 6x2x2 I think it is something like 15 or 20 years old? I have had it for 6 years already. I have a spare impeller ready to go in, but no time soon I don't think.

Paul if you want some filters please send me an email .

2217 2215 2213, fluval 204 or 304

cya Matthew

okay thanks guys for your help! now theres a toss up between fluval fx5 and the ehiem thermo filter with integrated heater, the fx5 does 3500 litres an hour while the thermo filter does 1050 litres an hour, im wanting this for my future tank whcih will hold at least 500 litres, would 1050 litres an hour be enough for a 500 litre plus tank? i want the thermo filter cos that way i can hide the heater, but it also cost 200 bucks more then the fx5 ya rekon its worth it? or should i just get the fx5? which does 3500 litres?

okay thanks guys for your help! now theres a toss up between fluval fx5 and the ehiem thermo filter with integrated heater, the fx5 does 3500 litres an hour while the thermo filter does 1050 litres an hour, im wanting this for my future tank whcih will hold at least 500 litres, would 1050 litres an hour be enough for a 500 litre plus tank? i want the thermo filter cos that way i can hide the heater, but it also cost 200 bucks more then the fx5 ya rekon its worth it? or should i just get the fx5? which does 3500 litres?

G'day

Everyone seems to look at the liters per hour measurement. I have no idea why.

Eheim have been in the business the longest and have products that quite simply work. My understanding of their filters philosophy is something along the lines of providing enough consistent water flow past the filter media to keep both the bacteria and then of course your fish happy.

Usually when a filter is rated highly in terms of lph, It only starts out this way, because as the filter blocks up it also slows down. When the filter slows down it allows the media to have good contact with the passing water. However as the filter clogs up and slows down this also creates stress on the motor and parts within the filter. Stress to filter parts seems to be a bad thing and it may cause the filter to break.

Go with the Eheim.

The only bad thing I keep hearing about these filters, is the price. Almost never about a failure or anything important.

Put it this way in three or six or nine years time. Will you care about the extra money spent?

cya Matthew

G'day

Everyone seems to look at the liters per hour measurement. I have no idea why.

Eheim have been in the business the longest and have products that quite simply work. My understanding of their filters philosophy is something along the lines of providing enough consistent water flow past the filter media to keep both the bacteria and then of course your fish happy.

Usually when a filter is rated highly in terms of lph, It only starts out this way, because as the filter blocks up it also slows down. When the filter slows down it allows the media to have good contact with the passing water. However as the filter clogs up and slows down this also creates stress on the motor and parts within the filter. Stress to filter parts seems to be a bad thing and it may cause the filter to break.

Go with the Eheim.

The only bad thing I keep hearing about these filters, is the price. Almost never about a failure or anything important.

Put it this way in three or six or nine years time. Will you care about the extra money spent?

cya Matthew

Yeah thinking about going with the Ehiem, so 1050 litres an hour would be exact same as 3500 litre? in terms of keeping the water crystal clear? and also ya rekon its worth it to get the integrated heater?

I would say Eheim are better but as you will notice their products are alot more expensive. Fluval would probably be the next step down? and i would say the price is more affordable, still expensive but not AS expensive.

Eheim cannisters for me too... won't bother with anything else. I'd rather buy an Eheim and not worry about it for 10+yrs, then another brand and constantly have problems or replace it. Which probably works out to be the same price in the long run.

Heaters on the other hand.... some of those cheapies are good :lol3: .

Have an Eheim with inbuilt heater.

Very impressed with it.

Only problem is that once the impeller got clogged up, and the filter stopped working. Hence the tank lost both its filtration and its heating at the same time. The water in the filter got really hot - the thermostat in the tank didn't realise what had happened and kept on churning the heat out. Could've been a problem if I had been away for a few days.... :shock::shock:

Archived