large top water fish

hello,

can anyone suggest any large community fish ( 8 - 10 inch ) that are top water dwelling species that aren't too aggressive?? I was thinking either an archer fish or a kissing gourami? Would these fit the bill?

cheers

I have a Helostoma temminckii (Kissing Gourami) in a community tank. He is normally placid but on the odd occasion will chase some of the other fish around.

There are a number of that may be good additions

Common Name (Species name)

Black-wing hatchetfish (Triportheus rotundatus)

Giant silver hatchetfish (Thoracocharax stellatus)

Giant danio (Danio aequipinnatus)

Scissortail rasbora (Rasbora trilineata)

Ceylon killifish (Aplocheilus dayi)

Blue, gold, opal and platinum gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)

Indian banded gourami (Colisa fasciatus)

Lace or Pearl gourami (Trichogaster leeri)

Silver or moonlight gourami (Trichogaster microlepsis)

Thicklip gourami (Trichogaster labiosus)

Kissing fish (Helostoma temminckii)

Boesmans rainbow (PNG) (Melanotaenia boesmani)

Eastern rainbow (Melanotaenia splendida splendida)

Madagascar rainbow (Bedotia gaeyi)

Spotted or common galaxias, jollytail (Galaxias maculatus)

Western galaxias (Galaxias occidentalis)

Mountain galaxias (Galaxias olidus)

Most of them range from 10 cm upwards with the Kissing Gourami being the largest. I know that this is not the size that you are looking for but it may give you a few more options.

I probably wouldn't put an archer fish in a community tank unless it was with other large species. They normally do better in brackish water as well.

Gerard

cheers for that info Gerard,

I'll start googling those names to see what tickles my fancy. Another fish I was looking at was Leporinus fasciatus, have you had any experience keeping these? I would of picked myself up a kissing gourami from day one but believe it or not I haven't seen one of these I a shop for awhile. I've looked for them in 10 different LFS's around Sydney and turned up zip everytime huh.gif .

Anyway thanks again thumb.gif

Adam

I would NOT put a leporinus in a community tank. It may be fine, but often as they grow, they will become totally pathological. Not always, but there is very little that can defend itself against a leporinus attack. Do this at your own risk!!!! They are also very good at eating plants.

You could also try this fish If you want something different that will rarely leave the surface. They do require good lids and food though.

Cheers,

Jason

Fish that fits the bill..... peaceful and up to 10 inches. Apollo shark (Luciosoma spilopleura). Tight schooling and top dwelling fish.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/CypriniiformPIX...opleura_AQ2.jpg

Other interesting imports that may fit the bil are some newly discovered giant danio species... Danio dangila. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful of giant danio species. Great pattern and colour, top schooling fish, gets up to a good 10cm+, won't hurt a fly.

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/aquariu...o_dangila_x.jpg

Reason why we don't see kissing gourami around much these days is because they are really not suited in a community tank. They become big and become rogues. Another one of those fish LFS call the "boomerang" fish. Get sold when they're small and cute, get returned when they're large and nasty and hard to sell. angry.gif

Go the Panchax, I dont know if the green ones are the same as the gold ones we get here in Perth but they are a great top-dweller. I find hatchet fish reasonably fragile but others may have a different opinion.

-worm-

Archived