Breeding Synodontis petricola

intern1

Hi everyone

Need some advice on breeding these guys got 2 boys 3 girls have tried a variety of methods including slate caves, pots and also trying to develop a air driven system to collect the eggs from the bottom of there cave as well with no success. I also have plenty of black marbles for there caves.

Have read most articles understand that they are substrate spawners just want some advice based on experience.

J have had these for a year now they are well past the 2 year mark I believe around 3 years old and they bread for the previous owner with fry to prove.

John

Hi John,

Have had a fair bit of success with these in the past.

I did start with the air driven contraption. It was simply one of Matthews air driven fry savers with a reversed and modified (lengthened) intake to connect through the top of a terracotta pot into a bed of marbles in a Chinese container. I found that it worked well to suck up eggs to the fry saver but when they would hatch they could easily escape through the course filter pad. I wrapped the filter pad in chux wipes which worked alot better to contain them.

I eventually found it to be a pain to try and catch them out of the fry saver to put them into grow out tanks so i just went with the marbles in Chinese container and terracotta pot. I would pull the chinese container out weekly or fortnightly, remove all marbles and inspect the container for fry and/or eggs. Most often I would get a bit of each and remove them to small tank/bucket/icecream container with an airstone for movement. I got better success doing it this way as they are easily separated per batch to a different container whereas if you have a few batches mixed, the larger fry canibalise the smaller...

I had fed them exclusively blood worms to get them started as that was the advice given to me when I was trying to start them breeding but I later started feeding them spectrum pellets and they continued to breed.

Well they are definitely mature if they have bred for the previous owner.

Do you have any tankmates with them?

Perhaps try and reduce the amount of light in the tank.

Maybe you could try waiting a bit longer in doing your next water change or stagger your changes to keep them guessing.

Who did you get them from may I ask?

Hope they breed for you.

Cheers

Joel

I have some Julie's growing out with them a a young colony of paracyp nigripinnis in a 3x2x16

I will give the blood worms a try

How did you set up the Chinese container and terracota pot

The container was one of the circular ones sit upright semi buried in the substrate (lid off of course). I put 2 or 3 layers of marbles in the bottom of the container.

I used an upturned terracotta pot with a hole cut out in the side. The largest part of the pot was the same size diameter as the chinese container so it fit snugly on top (if that makes sense). It rested on the rim of the container...

I would sometimes mound the substrate around the base of the pot to cover any light entering the side of the chinese container. I didn't really pay any attention to the success of this but it made sense to do so to make it a bit darker inside...

Cheers

Joel

Archived