Quietest canister you have used?

kcfongie

I'm planning to purchase a canister filter for my 120l tank.

So it would have to be in the range of 800~1000lph rating.

My main criteria would be DAMN QUIET.

Well... I know many will quickly come up with suggestions such as fluval or eheim, but these brands are expensive. If there are other manufactured filters which is also well known for being very very quiet, please tell me about it.

I had a TetraTec which was really really quite and reliable. But can't find that sold in aus.

Any other suggestions?

Okay, lets make this simpler,

1) What is the most quiet canister filter you have used (you may include eheim/fluval).

2) Also, if you have used a large range, you can also help by sorting these brands for me in terms of quietness.

(you may omit those you have never used)

Eheim classic,

Fluval,

Jebo,

Jebao,

Rena,

AquaOne,

Mariland,

AquaSun,

JHW,

(and may include any i missed out)

Okay, lets make this simpler,

1) What is the most quiet canister filter you have used (you may include eheim/fluval).

2) Also, if you have used a large range, you can also help by sorting these brands for me in terms of quietness.

(you may omit those you have never used)

Eheim classic,

Fluval,

Jebo,

Jebao,

Rena,

AquaOne,

Mariland,

AquaSun,

JHW,

(and may include any i missed out)

fluval/ aquaone/ eheim./ sachem I dont have the others. I find they are all fairly quiet (motor wise) but tank noise depends on whether the outlet is under water or not. Spray bars are noisy.

When it comes to canister filters you are much better off buying quality. Cheap canisters might run great at first but are much more likely to have problems in the long run. Cheap canisters might be quiet at first but are, again, much more likely to become louder in the long run. You can't go past eheim, alot of other people will agree with this.

It all comes down to you get what you pay for.

I have 2217 eheim and its perfect and value for money :thumbup:

I would get 2217 and use the spray bar to the water surface.

From my experience, better get bigger filter as it will be easier to manage as plenty of room for more cleaner water and bigger media ;)

But 2213 is rated at 400lph.

I wonder if the flow rate is good enough. It is for my grow-out tank, which would normally have 30~50 juveniles (<4cm) at any one time.

2215 is getting out of my budget range and still only 620lph.

I'm starting to look into it though,.. will only take another few looks before it press the magical "Buy Now" button.

I have a JT 1400 l/hr canister filter I bought off ebay for $61, been running for 6 months silently and I actually prefer it over my fluvals as it much easier to clean and pull apart. I have it on a 4ft tank with about 17 cichlids and 6 catfish and it does a good job on the tank, I must admit I also have a 360l/hr sponge filter in there as well but I wanted a clean tank and so far so good. I know they sell 1000l/hr and they were around $50 with media included. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one :thumbup:

Good Luck Zoe

But 2213 is rated at 400lph.

I wonder if the flow rate is good enough. It is for my grow-out tank, which would normally have 30~50 juveniles (<4cm) at any one time.

2215 is getting out of my budget range and still only 620lph.

I'm starting to look into it though,.. will only take another few looks before it press the magical "Buy Now" button.

Eheims LPH rate may be lower, but that is why they work so well as the water has a longer contact time with the media; massive LPH doesnt always equate to a better filter. I was also under the impression, the LPH on eheims is calculated with the media in the chamber, unlike other filters where the LPH is calculated without media in the chamber meaning the water will flow quicker.

Take the 2213 verse an Aquanova NCF600

2213 is 440LPH and is rated up to 250L tank

AquaNova NCF600 is 600LPH and is rated up to a 150L tank

You will get what you pay for in the end.

I would bypass cannisters altogether on a fry tank.

Air driven sponge filters is the way to go - you can keep them seeded in the parent tank when there is nothing in the grow out.

FYI though, Eheim is the best filter I have ever used. Although I have never had particular problems with noise on cheaper ones either. Noise is secondary to performance, unless it's in a lounge/bed room.

I would bypass cannisters altogether on a fry tank.

Air driven sponge filters is the way to go - you can keep them seeded in the parent tank when there is nothing in the grow out.

FYI though, Eheim is the best filter I have ever used. Although I have never had particular problems with noise on cheaper ones either. Noise is secondary to performance, unless it's in a lounge/bed room.

The growout tank is in our lounge. My wife loves looking at the fry so much (more than my main tank) I decided to make it more presentable. I currently have a DIY internal filter which is absolutely silent and very good. But its ugly, like all DIY stuff.

My main tank uses a JHW, but because it has a cabinet, i managed to sound proof it.

This other stand, doesn't have doors so I can't sound proof it. So I want something that is quiet.

I won't go sponge filter because air pumps are too noisy. And I don't have to worry about getting anything seeded because my main tank is just pumping out fry non stop. This tank has 50+ and my 10g is already packed with 40+ more, and with a holding fish in a bucket. Its nuts.

Anyway,... back to the main topic.... quiet canister.

I guess i'll seriously consider eheim then. Not many people here are suggesting anything else seriously besides one aqua-one recommendation.

I know slow flow rate is good for proper bio filtration. But i want good flow in the tank, and i want the debris to be picked up, so i'll prolly go with 2215 for the flowrate. Just need to put in more $$$ than I first wanted to.

eheims for sure have owned nearly every brand at one stage :S my eheim pro 2080 is very quiet for its size im still amazed the fx5 is noisy compared to it i have both and as mentioned above the 2213 through to the 2217 is very quiet

my aqua one cf700 is still very quite, after 4 years of using it, but IMO eheims classic range are very reliable and quite,

i've used the 2213 and after 20 years of use (this was my dads old filter) it stills works and is abit louder than before yet it still works, the reciept is still in the box,

Both the 2215 and 17 are both very reliable, very powerful filter, i use a 2217 in my 3foot and works a dream, water is near crystal clear with out any other supplements or chemicals used

I ordered a 2215 3 days ago from Guppy Aquarium for $129 + $18 shipment. It should arrive today or tomorrow! :D

no taps or media. you get what you pay for from guppies and good luck if there is a problem with it.

I ordered a 2215 3 days ago from Guppy Aquarium for $129 + $18 shipment. It should arrive today or tomorrow! :D

no taps or media. you get what you pay for from guppies and good luck if there is a problem with it.

Andries replied me and told me that media is included. No problems without tap. I can get them later or just get regular taps.

Why the negative tone regarding guppy aq? There is 1 yr shop warranty, and 1 yr manufacturer's warranty after that. Is there anything I should know when dealing with guppy aq?

The down side so far, ... is that i have not yet received the ordered item. Its been 6 days since I receive "order completed" email.

Yes, you should be told, prior to purchase, that the filter you bought was a grey import. It is not backed by the Australian Distributor at all, it is backed by Andries only.

If you bought from an Australian retailer of Eheim, you would of got a 3 year warranty.

It's still a really good price though!

Archived