Tropheus help please.

roskam3001

Hi all,

I have an adult female T. moorii 'Moliro' which has what appears to be three small balls of intenstine protruding from its anus.

I noticed this yesterday morning and immediately removed it from the colony and placed it in a tank by itself. When I netted her out I gently touched the protrusion and ascertained that it is definitely attached to her.

She is very lethargic this morning and not taking food.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

r u sure it is not egg bound.

i found when my females started to breed it would sometimes have eggs stuck at the end of the egg tube.

Can u vent the fish and find out if the so called balls are coming from the anus or the egg vent? Egg vent is usually larger.

If the fish is not eating u should treat it for bloat.

hth

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will have a go at venting her when I get home from work.

Not sure about 'egg bound' - the 'balls' are of different size with the largest one being bigger than an egg. It's hard to see if the three balls are from the same tube but I will have a closer look tonight. If they are eggs stuck in her tube, will they free themselves? She doesn't appear to be making any attempt to dislodge the protrusion.

has these fish bred before?

my females usually dislodges the eggs somehow...i never had to intervene.

if it is intestines, i don't think u can do anything about it. Seems unusual to have protruding bowels unless there is a serious defect in the abdominal wall. May need to take the fish to a vet practiced in fish treatments?

Any chance of taking some pics?

Keep us posted.

I don't understand how the intestine can get inside itself and then fall out of itself. Not sure if you follow me. Look at this pic, it may help to explain my point more.

IPB Image

Bruce

Bruce....i don't understand what u mean by the diagram but it can be seen in humans due to herniation thru a weakening of the abdominal wall..... a prolapsed rectum is possible but i would doubt an entire large bowel extruded out of a fish's anus is possible....and i would doubt it will be treatable without some serious surgery!

if it is protruding bowel then it is unlikely the fish will survive!!!

Bruce....i don't understand what u mean by the diagram but it can be seen in humans due to herniation thru a weakening of the abdominal wall..... a prolapsed rectum is possible but i would doubt an entire large bowel extruded out of a fish's anus is possible....and i would doubt it will be treatable without some serious surgery!

if it is protruding bowel then it is unlikely the fish will survive!!!

Dave,

I think the pic is upside down. The bowel is internal in the sketch, I think Bruce is skeptical that the bowel can somehow start coming out as described!!

Shane

Archived