Metal Structure in Tank...

R_F3B79

Hi,

1st post and not happy its this but here I go...

I have (in a moment of excitement / absent mind ness) used a DVD wall mount laying around to prop up 5 very large rocks in my tank. They are very large and heavy but slender... Like pavers almost. The DVD rack wedges the base of rock at extreme °'s without any rock touching base of tank. I have placed sliced rubber hose on base of mount and cover with sand and smaller rocks. Works great...

So this is why I'm reluctant to remove it. I know I probably should, alternatives to get such crazy sloping rocks this size at either end of the spectrum 10-20° to 75-90° - I can't think of any besides rock and sand, but effect would not be the same.

Once in and I had rescaped my entire tank (full fish x 45+ transplant to hospital tank) and i know Ii should have done it first. I researched as I know it will eventually rust... Its not stainless. Google via not much on the topic say... Just avaoid to be safe. But no answers as to EXACTLY what will / could happen.

* Is there a way to manage changes in water chemistry?

* What's the slow release of such elements into environment effect on fish +/or - (metals in all water systems in trace amounts)

I have 60kg of rock, sand and can't be bothered rescaping! The fish are fine 2 weeks later... Water chemistry normal...

Does anyone have a difinitive answer for me... Like have a PhD in metallurgy... ?

Thanks. Robin

I can post pics if it helps explain situation and pic of DVD rack thing as I have aonter still on wall near my TV.

Thanks for the response, i have noticed my bumblebees hanging out up top "gasping" occasionly but not consistantly and not enough of them doing it to suggest (yet) O2 is lacking... I have wave makers at each end of tank and two internal powerheds/filters - external filtering + lots of bubbles... Weekly 25% water changes... I have attempted various plants... But I'm only good at algae propagation! (I have recently installed timer on main LED bar to shut off midday to 3pm - this is helping)

All that should (hope) keep 02 in check.

My experience is other than copper (being dangerous).. steel, stainless and any derivative of steel is perfectly fine. If its a dvd tower/casing then I'd be suspicious of paint coatings from china [edit - lead etc]. I've stuck alot of stuff in my tanks over the years and never had any issues but for the first time this year I bought a couple of fake tree branches from china. I bought 20 peppermints and was left with 5 before I realised it was them rasping on the chinese paint/coating on them.

Better to choose natural elements for an aqauium imo.

RE: paint.

Looks like a powdercoat finish of some description (IKEA unit) so yes was made in China but those Sweedes are finiky about OHS and Gerenal product / manufacturing best practice standards. I am confident its not a lead based (99℅ anyway) and I did check for any chips, exposed metal or existing rust. The item was A1. Like the day I purchased. I agree as to natutlral is best and this besides my afican warrior woman figurine is the only item in tank that is not, its not visible at all. Submerged in rock and sand.

Your EXPERIENCE gives me encouragement / hope... that while maybe not something that will remain forever, it can remain at least until I'm next inspired to fully rescape my tank. Thank you... Experiences first hand is what I was after.

Archived