Driftwood in tank turn water a dirty red color!

That Cichlid Guy

Wood will do that. With time it will stop doing it, but that could take along time.

There are products that can remove the tannins from the water, but I can't remember what it is called.

SeaChem Purigen will remove tannins from water. Other rely on activated carbon to do the job. Even increasing the frequency of water changes will assist.

What type of fish are you keeping in the tank?

Wood is best not kept with fish that come from hard and alkaline water. Wood will be lowering the tank's pH, the opposite from what you want. If keeping discus, no problems, but with Africans it can be problematic.

As Ged says, carbon and other chemical filters will remove tannins released by the wood (which cause the water to change colour), but why leave something in your tank even if it has a potential to be an issue.

Wood soaked long enough will eventually stop releasing tannins, but this could be months or years.

People still do keep wood in their African tanks, fish such as plecostomus need it in their diet.

Craig

my hemichromis guttaus loved the driftwood and i seemed to have a higher success in raising fry dont know if it was the darkness of the water so they could blend in or they had a place to hide.ive had ngara flametails breed in a tannin stained tank the colours were amazing on the males.i found after constant water changes sometimes two small ones per week cleared up the tank slowly.no purigen personal preference i guess

depends on the wood as to how much it will leach

I'm guessing it could be one of the sculpted red gum pieces that's available

big metal tub on a gas BBQ and boil the crap out of it a few times but

it still might need to be left to soak somewhere and just keep changing

the water till it reduces

mangrove root and the new lines like Mopani and grapevine don't leach much

if any

• 4 weeks later...

Archived