Newb needs advice stocking 55g

Dudemanguy

Hey everyone, my names Daniel and im noob.

Ive just finished cycling a standard 4 foot and its ready for some african cichlids!

I have a brand new fluval 306(cycled with tank), flow rate is 1150l/h so I believe that should be enough filtration? If not I will add an internal pick up filter, probably an eheim. Or possibly a fluval HOB.

I have about 15kgs of texas holy rock, and a gold sand as substrate.

My PH is staying at 8, with two air stones going. Will probably add cichlid lake salts to tank.

The species I am wanting to keep is mbuna, in particular saulosi, dwarf embuna. Im thinking 2m/6f.

I want some tank mates, but preferebly not mbuna. Ive been thinking about a couple of peacocks, but they would have to be a more aggressive strain to hold there own. I want the mbuna to have the bottom of the tank, and some other fish to inhabit the mid and upper portions, so free water swimming fish.

Any suggestions or advice? I know the easiest way would be a saulosi species tank, but I really do want some more variety.

hi

if u want to have saulosi u better get some good one

there are alot of hybrids going around now of them

get them from a good breeder

I know 2 that have some good one and they are not hybrids

both are with the n.s.w.c.s.

1 is lionel zigzagfish

and the 2nd is vince

u can go to the meeting and talk to them if u want

yanke

Hi dudemanguy

your location shows as Pelican but no state

are you in Newcastle ?

Saulosi usually don't bother different species

with 2 males I would set up structure (holey rock)

at the ends of the tank and leave a clear area in

the middle with some lower rocks

as far as Aulonacara consider Lwanda, Galleya Reef,

Blue neons, Mamalela, Chipokae/Rubins, depends

what colour you are after

Yeah mate newcastle, kind of. Pelican is next to swansea.

What ive done is ive got four pieces of holy rock, spread out across the tank with a space between each one. That way each male can claim his own rock as territory. Hopefully that works.

I like the lwanda, maybe if I just add 1 male? I just want some extra shapes and colour but the fish must eat the same diet and have the same water qualities.

One fish I really would LOVE is a malawi eye biter. I believe one would be fine with the mbuna, but I know in a couple years hed probably out grow the tank.

Archived