Keeping my tank warm....

n3wbi3

Hey guys my display tank is a in wall tank viewed from our living room... access to the tank is from our double garage located on the other side of the wall.

Being winter i have 2 x 300w heater heating it, being very cold atm in Melbourne both heater r running nearly all day and night trying to keep it at 24c.

Can you give me any tips how to keep this tank warm so the heaters aint running 24/7, electricity bill has taken a hit this winter.

Besides insulating the garage, what else can i do?

20150723_135539_zpsvr2zw6eq.jpg

I have insulated tanks with Styrofoam during winter months. It is fairly easy to insulate the back and sides but you need to be careful insulating the top due to the heat generated from lighting. May i also suggest that you insulate your sump as this will also be a source of heat loss.

Placing doors on the cabinet where your sump is housed will further reduce heat loss. Just be mindful of condensation build up. You can vent the doors to aid in controlling the condensation.

Sweet... Styrofoam as in the stuff ur tank sits on?

The thicker the better?

Foamex in Bayswater North has an extruded Styrofoam board (sheet) in a range is sizes. The advantage of the extruded sheets as opposed to the expanded styrofoam is that is virtually water proof. The expanded type can loose some of the thermal properties if they become wet.

Available Sheet Sizes:

2400mm L x 600mm W

Available Thicknesses:

25mm

30mm

40mm

50mm

75mm

100mm

Archived