nitrate readings

Paulcha11

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had problems with the API test kits particularly the nitrate testing? I am in the process of cycling my tank and have been receiving readings that vary differently from test to test even when I do them straight after each other! Today for example I get the first reading as 5-10 ppm then the second testing at somewhere near the 40-80 ppm? Is this usual? I follow all the instructions and shake/tap the bottle but it is so inconsistent.

Many thanks for any tips or insights.

Cheers

Paul

they have problems with bottle 2, it crystallizes in the bottle and gives false readings. bash it against something and give it a good shake.

mine never read any nitrates though so might not be that problem.

they have problems with bottle 2, it crystallizes in the bottle and gives false readings. bash it against something and give it a good shake.

mine never read any nitrates though so might not be that problem.

I had this exact same thing. Thought my tank was doing exceptionally well at processing nitrate ... Hahahah. Read a similar thing on another forum. Bashed the crap out of the bottle and shook it very vigiourisly for a minute or so. And guess what. Nitrate through the roof !!!! plus I think this was the catalyst for my first out break of white spot.

So in summary ----- Shake the bloody bejusus out of the nitrate test bottles.

Jason

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I think I am going to do a big water change and see if I can get the cycle kick started again. Think my nitrites may be too high and stalling the progress to the good bacteria.

Cheers

Paul

Archived