Filtration: 4fter. AC300 or 500 ?

Guest Gutty

Making a poll seemed kinda hard.... ;) so can i just get some replies ?

I aquired a standard 4fter yesterday, was planning on just using an Aquaclear filter on it. I just don't know which size to get.

My little bro uses a AC300 on his 4fter but i'm wondering how many of you would opt for the 500 for it's greater turnover and media capacity. The tank will be housing africans of many sizes in it's life time. The filter media will be Matrix and a sponge.

So, in your opinion, for a 4'x18"x14" would you go a AC300 or an AC500 ?

Thanks

Matt

More is better...plus if you get a larger tank in future you can just transfer the AC500 to that tank.

Personally I think you would be better to have more than the AC300/500, maybe a internal power-head or filter. The AC's are fantastic but do lack the capacity to create current and they do not always get all the waste in the tank as a result of this.

HTH

Thanks guys. An AC500 it is then. I was leaning toward the 500 for it's increased media capacity anyway.

Mazimbwe: I use Rio filtered power heads(of various sizes) in all my tanks reguardless of filter type. They work so well i'd be dumb not to IMO. I guess my statement "planning on just using an Aquaclear" wasn't quite right. By that i ment there would be no canister/sump etc.

Thanks

Matt

Before you decide on the 500 make sure it fits in the space between the bracing on the tank. It is quite wide around 14 inches from memory. On a standard 4 foot tank i usually use an AC300 and a medium cannister. The cannister is run purely as a biological filter (reduces the number of times it has to be cleaned) while the AC300 takes care of the particles.

Hey Matt

My standard 4 footer houses 1 x male frontosa(12cm), 8 x big fat bristlenose(7cm) and 7 x lombardoi(10cm) and has the AC 300 running on it now for at least a year and without any problems. The tank also has a standard 4 ft undergravel filter which also helps as the AC does not always have the power to stir up the waste that seems to collect directly below the AC filter. The only problem i had with it was when i found around 20 or so baby BN in the filter under the foam insert????

Living happily there until i disturbed them, but just lucky to survive the impeller i guess....... :8

BRAD.......Newcastle.

Before you decide on the 500 make sure it fits in the space between the bracing on the tank. It is quite wide around 14 inches from memory. On a standard 4 foot tank i usually use an AC300 and a medium cannister. The cannister is run purely as a biological filter (reduces the number of times it has to be cleaned) while the AC300 takes care of the particles.

I run a similar setup on my 6ft. AC500 and a large canister thats 100% bio media. Only have to clean the canister every few months :D and AC sponges are so easy to clean regularly.

Good point though......i'll check it tonight but i'm 99% sure it'll fit as my current AC500 just came off a 4ft(though a 4x2x2) and the lid widths are about the same.

Thanks

Matt

The only problem i had with it was when i found around 20 or so baby BN in the filter under the foam insert????

Living happily there until i disturbed them, but just lucky to survive the impeller i guess....... :8

what safer place to hide is there ? :p

My current AC500 has been so reliable i just about laugh at your thinking................not really. :unsure

Buying 2 filters is more $$$ though, and if i were to run 2 it would be an AC300 and a canister i reckon.

Thanks

Matt

Archived