Rocks: How many (001)

Is there any calculation on how many kilos of rock can we put in a tank? Someone said that as many as we want. But I am still worry about doing it.

My tank is 5ft tank (60" x 14" x 24"), and the thickness of the glass is 10mm.

The one I am worry about is that if I stacked to many rocks, the base of the tank could be cracked (because the density of the rock is higher than water, and the pressure from the rock to the base of the tank would be very high as well).

Regards,

Fishly

With 10mm glass i wouldn't be too concerned, especially if it has a 12mm base.(may or may not). Just make sure you stack them well so they don't/can't collaps.

If you'd really like to be sure put some light diffuser, foam or somthing similar under the rocks to cusion/spread the load a bit.

I had about 80kg of rock in my 10mm glass 4x2x2 for a while with nothing under it but gravel. I had no problems.

Just remember, more rock mass = less swimming space. Fish like to swim :)

Matt

i take it your going to keep mbuna but if not say you are keeping large cichlid that like to dig you would need something else instead of foam unless you like fishing the little balls out of the water lol try egg crate or somthing along those lines even normal can with stand the strength of those big fish

FYI, I had this amount of rocks at one stage (now fewer coz they were a pain to take out when catching females, also different filtration). I had put a solid base beneath it just in case of problems. The fish and I both liked it, it would have been great for a display only tank.

4ft10nov.jpg

More rocks also equals less water volume, so conditions may be more variable.

Fiona.

SCPsig_gold.gif

Archived