Copora nicaraguense (parrot)

I was at Aggies Aquariums (E4g13m4n's Shop in Adelaide) and there was a pair of these in one of his larger shop tanks. these guys are absolutely stunning!!! many people out there with them or breeding them? I will definitely get some of these guys when possible.

Anthony

they are awesome hey! If I didn't go for synspilums only in my 4x2, parrots were on the cards. love the metallic mirror kinda effect they have!

hey all,

yeah they are a nice looking fish i have a couple in my american display setup and with a (once a week) feeding of some white crain -in a mixed diet of course,

really brings out there colours, there growth rate is quite quick also ive noticed, compared to the firemouths, blue acaras, and my geophagus surinamensis, the parrots have all easily doubled in size of there tankmates.

Any one ever had trouble with aggresion with these parrots, my two just dont get along sad.gif the dominant one only picks on the other parrot and does not bother any other fish - may just be a grumpy bum fish, anyways thanks for listening

My memory says they are from South America right on the area where the Central American land bridge joins continental South America. That was on a map I saw from Konnings discontinued Central American book about 4 years ago tongue.gif

Festae's that is not Parrots/ Nics. As the scientific name suggests they are from Nicaragua.

central

edit:  C nicaraguense are centrals, festae are south

depending what book you read ,half say festae are south half say central america,they were shown on theA.C.E gallery(which i cant find) as central,anyone know for sure?

Amphilophus urophthalmus is an extremely similar looking species to Amphilophus festae

Uro's are from above the land bridge, festae from below.

check out this link for some more info - the books I have concur with this opinion

Click me

well, C.nicaraguensis is one of the few central americans that is on the allowable import list. I've seen a few batched of these being imported and a small number thru Jeff Rapps (USA).

Never get tired of looking at these fish. Very under-rated fish IMO

Archived