Breeding: Lionheads

<H1>Lionheads</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Anyone had any experience with breeding Lionheads, mine have started to pair up but I wish to move them to a 24x12x12 but was wondering if this was too small a tank for a pair? Any advice appreciated.

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: The Cichlid Man</STRONG><BR><BR>DWD,

<br>

<br>

I have been breeding these guys for a while now. I breed mine in a standard 2 foot tank. I have found that they do better with about 4-6 little dithers crusing around just to keep them on guard. I found if they were by themselves they wouldn't bred as easily.

<br>

Mine actually spawn im a cool rock i have that has a deep hole dug out with a back compartment in it. The female lays her eggs near the front of the cave and once that are wriggling she moves them to the back compartment.

<br>

I usually leave them with the parents for 3-4 days after hatching. They are suprisingly strong fry and love to eat. I feed mine Vegatble tablets or spirulina. Temperature is 26 degress and they need there caves to be really dark.

<br>

<br>

Any other questions i would be happy to answer

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

Ben

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks Ben, all the literature indicated 30 gallon minimum quarters which didnt sound right for a sedentary fish

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>would someone be able to give me the the full name (genus/specie) for lionheads? They sound like a nice fish but i am yet to see one.

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: zeb au</STRONG><BR><BR>Steatocranus casuarius

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wazzablunt</STRONG><BR><BR>What fish are good for dithers?

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>something small and active my favs are M. praecox the 'neon rainbow'

</DIV>

Archived