Repair Canister Filters

ctaylor

I made a rookie mistake of purchasing a secondhand Aquanova NCF-1500 and Resun AE808 canister filter recently without doing the normal amount of research that I've put into my other equipment.

My only previous experience with a canister filter had been my Eheim professional, needless to say I have never had a problem with it. The new canister filters were purchased with the intention of using one for a quarantine tank and one for a hospital tank keeping the tanks separate from my sump system. I assumed that they wouldn't be of the same quality as the Eheim but would no doubt serve their function.

Needless to say I am having a few issues with both of them:

Aquanova NCF-1500 canister filter 1500lph

The Aquanova appears to be leaking through the gap for the power cord, there are a few mixed perspectives on these filters, some have had great experiences and others have a stack of them lying around.

Obviously water isn't supposed to be in this section of the canister, sure I can just silicone the gap but it isn't really going to fix the problem. I have scanned the forum for

previous threads referencing the Aquanova with a few people mentioning that the O ring is where most of these leaks are sprung, unfortunately the link on repairing the Aquanova doesn't work.

Is replacing this O ring going to help my problem, or is it a completely different issue? Does anyone know of other threads referencing repairs to these filters?

Resun AE808 canister filter 1500lph

Is leaking through the Quick Release Tap, not either of the joins (filter to hose) but the actual open/close switch has a constant drip. My initial response to get it cycling today was just to take off the taps and connect the hose directly to the canister, but I was wondering if anyone else had a solution for me?

I have had both these brands described to me as disposable canisters cause you can't really get the spare parts.

What I've learnt... stick to Eheim or at least aqua one where you can get spare parts easily.

As always your advice is greatly appreciated.

everyones had problems aqua novas, but for me they worked a treat my one lasted nearly 2 years without an impellor change and no leaks at all the buyer had no probs with it and gave me good feedback, another one i got as part of trade, ran a test on it and it worked a treat to with no leaks and sold that too but i think i could be one of the lucky ones, as one time somone returned 4 aqua nova canisters to kims aquatics cos he said they were all learking. But anwyas try calling the seller you baught it off and return it to him? cos he obviously didnt tell you about these issues

Thanks for the replies guys, Chris your link to PCS seems like it will be a good help for me, I'll just have to track down a LFS that carries aqua nova spares, the importer is down the road so hopefully they will be able to point me in the right direction.

Anyone know about the Resun spare parts? I've been told that Monaco Aquariums are the importer for Resun, so I'll give them a call once they open, was just wondering if anyone had seen the taps around in their LFS? After having the Resun running last night without the taps attached I think the Impeller and shaft will need replacing as I assume its supposed to be much quieter than it is.

Will contact the seller and see if he had them running and knew they leaked as I don't want others to have to fork out more $ to fix leaking canisters from brands that are so difficult to get the spare parts for.

As I said in my first post will be sticking to Eheims in the future.

Well I have spoken to both the importers for Resun and Aquanova this morning.

I managed to track down suitable O rings for the Aquanova and placed 4 on the taps instead of the traditional 2, with a bit of vasaline to assist the seal, currently running on a plastic tub outside and seems to be working well, though I'll leave it for an hr or so before I'm 100% on it.

In regards to the Resun, have spoken to the importer and he is trying to track down some taps for me some time during the week.

Thanks for your responses guys, as always your knowledge has helped me to find a quick resolution to my problem.

Well I have spoken to both the importers for Resun and Aquanova this morning.

I managed to track down suitable O rings for the Aquanova and placed 4 on the taps instead of the traditional 2, with a bit of vasaline to assist the seal, currently running on a plastic tub outside and seems to be working well, though I'll leave it for an hr or so before I'm 100% on it.

In regards to the Resun, have spoken to the importer and he is trying to track down some taps for me some time during the week.

Thanks for your responses guys, as always your knowledge has helped me to find a quick resolution to my problem.

A guy on ebay that stocks i thinky every every part for the aqua nova

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Tropical-Fi...634Q2ec0Q2em322

i just had a look and maybe you need the seal kit here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NCF-1500-Canister-F...=item1c0af2d4f1

but it costs 70 bucks sorry didnt see it earlier cos you just baught 4 o rings but yeah

GL

Well its good to know the repair kit exists, I'm sure that might help others in a similar situation.

They both seem to be working fine at the moment, think the O rings and silicone have done the trick, the aquanova's cycling on my 6x2 and the Resun's sat on a 2ftr atm so some of my fry are having the time of their lives playing in the current.

Might invest in the repair kit later down the track.

I have had the same problem with my two aqua nova filters and they are now working perfectly fine for over three years now.

DON'T waste money on sealing kits etc. as they probably won't work!!

As you've now figured out it's the orings on the dual valve tap that causes all the problems.

I just replaced them with two slightly thicker ones from a place in Hornsby/Waitara called "Hornsby Bearings". They used the original ones as a sample and all is good now. The taps are very tight and don't come off now but all you need to do is turn them to the "off" position and remove the entire motor head of the cannister when you need to clean it out.

Problem solved...

Well its good to know the repair kit exists, I'm sure that might help others in a similar situation.

They both seem to be working fine at the moment, think the O rings and silicone have done the trick, the aquanova's cycling on my 6x2 and the Resun's sat on a 2ftr atm so some of my fry are having the time of their lives playing in the current.

Might invest in the repair kit later down the track.

Then you prob dont need the seal kit. Good to hear its working. I baught my one brandnew and didnt have a problem with it for around 2 years and the buyer had no probs too, yours should be fine now i hope :thumbup: The seal kit cost 70 bucks anywya and im guessing you baught your canister for at least 50 so that would have added up to 120, a brandnew canister from that store with shipping costs 128 and get one year warranty, so imo it would have been better off buying a brandnew one anywya then fixing it with the seal kit. I rekon do this sell the one you have now on here or ebay, i was able to sell mine for 72 bucks, tell them about the faults, so you might get around 50ish for it and just get a brandnew one, and you wont have to worry about a thing for one year as it will be under warranty, but gl with what ever you decide. :thumbup:

i replace the o rings on the taps every twelve months. it is a part that is designed to wear. i usually get mine from lams aquarium at parramatta. they are about three bucks each. inreference to quality you do get what you pay for but im more than happy with the performance of my three Aqua Nova cannister filters.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had aquanovas for the last three years. A common problem in leaking tops is the acutal o ring for the plunger, it is about 5inches in diameter. I have beent o numerous aqariums and dont stock them. A particular shop wanted $19 for one oring. A complete rip off.

I went to a industrial bearing place and got the same oring fo $3.50.

It does the same job.

cheers

Gary

Archived