Snail killer chemicals and Peppermints?

Teamsherman

Hi folks,

Unfortunately the tank I'm trying to breed my Peps in has a snail problem which I got from some plants I introduced ages ago. The said plants are long gone but the snails and their eggs have been very difficult to eradicate.

I really don't want to have to strip the tank down at this point in time as the Peps have finally settled in and gave me some eggs last week so I don't want to interrupt their cycle and put my breeding back some months.

Are there any safe chemicals I can use to kill the snails off without harming the catfish? They are the tiny cone shaped snails that only get to about 5-6mm long at the most.

I really don't want any snails in there at all as I'm concerned that when the fish start breeding permanently they could eat or disturb the eggs.

Cheers,

Alan.

If you go down the Kusuri route be mindful that depending on your snail plague that you will likely get a spike in your water conditions with rotting snails in your tank especially if you are dealing with a large dose of Malasian trumpet snails Just a head up :)

edit - I'd just like to note that if you dont overfeed your tank (which nearly everyone does), I've had success with clown loaches keeping them to a minimum. Not good with a peppy spawn though :(

Youtube aquatic snail trap, might thin then out.

Awesome! I'll make one tomorrow!

I'm a bit hesitant with chemicals so I'll just use the trap I think to keep the numbers down.

Ahh yeah, they have soft shells (assuming they are pond snails). Try putting in less food in your tank and a clown loach or 2. My experience with those are that loaches will nail them.

Snail levels are actually a good indicator of how much food is sitting in your tank.

Also bristlenose will happily push out snails in their nurturing stage if they have a nice small entrance to protect. I've always used bamboo as they love to eat it and seems to have a nice entrance size for them.

I had one of my tanks filled with those red pond snails I kept removing drift wood each day and picking all that were on off every day it would fill till numbers dropped ! Took some time

Once the numbered were low I treated the tank will snail kill at its lowest dose for the full period recomended with WC and increased air flow I would vac the base everyday add top with water all fish were fine including bn fry

These guys lay eggs under water everywhere !

Filters ornaments pipes rocks glass substrate everywhere so if you don't use chemicals you will always have a problem they don't eat much

I was totally against chemicals because I treaded a display tank when I first started with fish and didn't relise how many snails it had and what would happen once all died and stated to rot in the aquarium

Had lost all the fish!

Archived