Bristlenose Babies

CamoT

Morning All,

I assume all of these questions would have been answered on here in detail over the years but thought I would try to get all of the questions I have answered in the one place whilst I am doing some reading up on things elsewhere. Also good to get some different opinions I supposed.

Well the long and the short of it is I thought I would take a shot at breeding for the first time and being that everyone has told if you cant breed Bristlenose's can out of fish they are what I chose to try first. Well the Bristlenose's have laid their first eggs the other day at first I thought the dad just kicked out the eggs as its the first time I know of that they had laid but this morning I noticed a few wrigleys around. So I figured I better have a look into how to try and help them survive.

1st Question - What do you all feed the babies, I have a piece of wood in there and I have put in a piece of Cucumber?

2nd Question - Do you guys try to remove them from the parents tank and put them in another tank, if so after how long (how many days/weeks) or do you leave them in their to grow out with the parents?

3rd Question - If left in their will the parents breed again or not?

4th Question - Any tips for caring for the young?

Thanks Cameron

1st Question - What do you all feed the babies, I have a piece of wood in there and I have put in a piece of Cucumber?

same as the adults vegies and pellets

2nd Question - Do you guys try to remove them from the parents tank and put them in another tank, if so after how long (how many days/weeks) or do you leave them in their to grow out with the parents?

depends on the tank size they are in as the fry are independent of the parents

if you have spare breeder tanks then move the parents only because it's easier

leave them with the parents as long as you like but depends on tank size

3rd Question - If left in their will the parents breed again or not?

yes they will continue to bred until they feel it's too crowded

4th Question - Any tips for caring for the young?

water changes, food and filter maintenance

Here is a photo of the tank that I have them in at the moment.

Only thing I am really concerned about is my filter sucking them up. Is this something I need to be worried about?

2m43wxe.jpg

Wow thats a really bad pick I will get another one.

If it is just the internal filter. You could try putting fly screen or some sponge around the intake/inlet. You will find the intake might need regular maintenance to clean the gunk that will stick to the mesh though. If not you can try the best way to look after your fry by hooking up an airpump with a sponge filter. It will probably save you some power as well as being more efficient.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus the bn babies will munch on the all the good stuff that a sponge filte collects. I also have a piece of driftwood and they can eat all day and night. If you only have really little ones in the tank just make sure you remove excess food every couple of days as it will go off and cause spikes in the water and they will drop off quickly and in large numbers.

Cheers

Plus the bn babies will munch on the all the good stuff that a sponge filte collects. I also have a piece of driftwood and they can eat all day and night. If you only have really little ones in the tank just make sure you remove excess food every couple of days as it will go off and cause spikes in the water and they will drop off quickly and in large numbers.

Cheers

Archived