Populate my tank!

Teamsherman

Hi folks,

I have a nice 4 foot ReptileOne turtle tank which I'm not planning on housing any turtles in for a while and would like to turn it into a nice cichlid display tank!

I'm wanting to have a black and white theme in regards to the substrate and ornaments along with a few nice driftwood pieces with plants attached but as you can see from the picture the backing that is in the tank is an off putting mustard colour. I'm considering removing the backing from the tank as it would create more volume in there too.

The fish I would like to house would be vibrant yellows and Blues so long as they will get along well with some Lion Heads and Peppermints I'm not fussed where they're from but I would like to maintain a similar locality for ease of water parameters and temperature.

It runs a 1500lph canister and a small internal filter for extra water movement and mechanical filtration.

I don't want huge fish as I would like to keep bigger numbers in there. I'm not fussed about breeding in there but if I get the occasional mouthful of whatever that would be cool.

I just want the tank to pop and the fish to be the main attraction in the tank.

Cheers,

Alan.

P.s, the current top is just mesh but I will be changing that to glass in due time.

6F050200-219E-4633-BA59-25F211B08503_zps

So I realised I already have a female Azureus in there so I think I'll just stick with the Malawi theme and get some more of them along with some electric yellows and blues.

I'd still like to have a few Steatocranus in there so do you think they will do alright in the same water?

I know this is getting away from the Malawi theme but maybe consider some PNG natives, Boesemani for yellow and Lacustrus for Blue, are peaceful, don't grow large and are great display fish when kept in a planted tank.

I know this is getting away from the Malawi theme but maybe consider some PNG natives, Boesemani for yellow and Lacustrus for Blue, are peaceful, don't grow large and are great display fish when kept in a planted tank.

Thanks for the suggestion! I googled the fish and they're not really what I'm after for this tank but you have inspired me to look for some for my other smaller display tank in my living room!

Archived